PDA

View Full Version : Playing A/7+ off in late position

celiboy
06-11-2005, 12:08 PM
Earlier in the month I had a post about being too tight preflop and one example I gave was having A/x in an unopened pot in late position. The advice given was to raise this, whereas in the past I was folding or limping with this hand. I have done so to some success. Couple of questions:

1. What does the "x" have to be for it to be a raising hand? Generally I am raising with A/7 off or higher.

2. Is it ok to ever just limp in with A/x in late position? I would think it's a fold/raise situation.

cold_cash
06-11-2005, 12:19 PM
If 5 people have limped in before it gets to me, I'm folding A9 and lower.

If there's one loose limper I'll raise A7 and up.

I doubt if it's ever correct to limp with A9 or less.

karitek
06-11-2005, 03:55 PM
If you are the first in the pot in LP, you shouldn't limp - always raise.

As far as the Ax hands, I fold A9o and lower if there are any limpers. Whether I raise with Axo first in really depends on my read on the blinds.

Grinder
06-13-2005, 08:03 PM
What do you do in this situation?

SB - Post small blind $0.25
Hero - Post big blind $0.50
Hero - Pocket [Ac,2h]
Player X - Calls $0.50
Player Y- Calls $0.50
Player Z - Folds
Player Q - Folds
Player A - Raises $0.50 to $1
Player B - Calls $1
SB - Calls $0.75
Hero - Calls $0.50
Player X - Calls $0.50
Player Y - Calls $0.50

Was there any value in calling 1/2 a BB this knowing that I would fold to any flop not containing a set or 2 pair?

Walker
06-13-2005, 11:51 PM
A2o OOP is utter trash, and an easy fold in the example you gave. I'd fold this in a family pot.

NateDog
06-14-2005, 12:15 AM
One limper in MP or folded to me, and I'll raise w/ any A, most K's, and Q9s and up, JTs - J9s, and all the normal LP raising hands from the hijack, CO, or button. Most of my play these days is at 1/2, and the blinds tend to be a touch tighter than at .5/1. Of course loose blind defenders changes everything. You could end up in a 4 way pot with a crap hand. At least you have position! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I guess 'it depends'. Don't you get tired of hearing that? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Grinder
06-14-2005, 12:24 AM
i agree but of course i bingoed w A 2 10 on flop. Not normal play just a feeling.

I got too lucky and new that if i hit i would be rewarded hansomely

NateDog
06-14-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i agree but of course i bingoed w A 2 10 on flop. Not normal play just a feeling.

I got too lucky and new that if i hit i would be rewarded hansomely

[/ QUOTE ]

Dood, you did not just talk about getting a feeling right? What is the EV of a fuzzy feeling in your tummy? What about an itchy feeling in the crotch?

Cooker
06-14-2005, 12:27 AM
This should hit the muck preflop. If you know you are drawing to a trips/2 pair preflop in limit you are in huge trouble. You are 25.13333 to 1 against flopping 2 pair, trips, or quads with 2 cards of different rank. I guess if you expect to make 12.6 BB when you hit (not win a 12.6 BB pot since you will be putting in bets, but actually get in 12.6 BB from other people) then you can call. However, often 2 pair with A2 will lose (most times when you make your Ace and the board pairs and then some), so you probably need to make more. How many 20+ BB pots do you see at your table? I ask because that is what you better get to call here.

Bodhi
06-14-2005, 01:22 AM
Don't be supersticious. Thinking like this will cause you to lose a lot of money.

Grinder
06-14-2005, 10:06 AM
understood i usually muck higher a/x hands and my original post was somewhat facetious i apologize.