PDA

View Full Version : when 5's get the heat ?

SenecaJim
06-11-2005, 10:37 AM
5-10 live play. 2 limpers in front of me. I limp from CO with pair 5's. Button raises. ( somewhat loose caller but not raiser --besides, ED says a raise is a raise ) BB reraises. ( not played many hands, small buy-in though and only 1 bet left in his stack)

Both limpers call. So, it's 12.5 small bets in pot, 2 bets to me, and original raiser behind me. What should I do in this situation ?

xniNja
06-11-2005, 10:40 AM
I think the correct play is to fold, b/c you have to discount some flops where you and your opponent/s are likely to make a set, and since the short stack only has a bet left, the implied odds are reduced as well. I could be wrong on this one though.

Nyack
06-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Fairly easy call. Button is more likely to call than cap so you're getting close to 7-1 on a call, the odds of flopping a set are 7.5-1.

[ QUOTE ]
b/c you have to discount some flops where you and your opponent/s are likely to make a set, and since the short stack only has a bet left, the implied odds are reduced as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Set over set is too rare a situation to put off calling. Also I don't think implied odds here are bad. The pot is already huge before the flop which will tie people to their hands so if you flop a set you make more.

Dave D
06-11-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fairly easy call. Button is more likely to call than cap so you're getting close to 7-1 on a call, the odds of flopping a set are 7.5-1.

[ QUOTE ]
b/c you have to discount some flops where you and your opponent/s are likely to make a set, and since the short stack only has a bet left, the implied odds are reduced as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Set over set is too rare a situation to put off calling. Also I don't think implied odds here are bad. The pot is already huge before the flop which will tie people to their hands so if you flop a set you make more.

[/ QUOTE ]

DCWildcat
06-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Basic call. You're getting disgustingly good implied odds for a set here, and you easily drop it if you miss.

Never discount some flops from hitting you. Oversets are something that happen very infrequently, and you just have to pay them off. You make more money hitting sets and going hard and rarely paying off the higher set than you do dropping some to possible higher ones.

Maybe if the board is something ridiculous, like AKQ5 after the turn should you slow down, but otherwise, call and raise (or c/r if appropriate) to high heaven

xniNja
06-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Still not sure it's such an easy call as implied. it's 12.5 SB and you have to put in another BB to call. (About 6.2:1 ?) Maybe the possibility of an over-set isn't the best reason for folding, but if you don't hit the flop with a low pair like 5's, you now may have to call/fold depending on the board, when you could already be drawing dead and such. I still think folding is better here in a tight or high limit game. I know this is the small-stakes forum, which may or may not have an impact.

damaniac
06-11-2005, 05:40 PM
99% of the time you put money into the pot preflop with a pocket pair, you should see the flop. You have great implied odds if you hit, they all like their hands and will pay you well. Sometimes you lose to set over set. Sometimes you lose to a flush or straight or quads. Sometimes there are monsters under my bed. A meteor could be headed for Earth. I try not to lose sleep over any of these things.