PDA

View Full Version : don't know how to fold at the river.

therockofgibraltar
06-11-2005, 07:59 AM
I must be some kind of fool because it seems I always "want" to know what the other guy has in the end. This is a clear fold when the river paired and I got raised?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: (8 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

JackThree
06-11-2005, 08:06 AM
that's not a clear fold

xenthebrain
06-11-2005, 08:07 AM
If you fold here, you make yourself a target for river bluff raises

einbert
06-11-2005, 08:10 AM
This is at least close, but I do think folding is the correct play.

It's razor thin between calling and folding. I think you might see a busted flush draw bluffing the scare card just enough to make this call +EV.

therockofgibraltar
06-11-2005, 08:19 AM
ok, thanks. I was thinking all the way that MP3 was on a flush draw but when that 7 came and he raised I knew this was not the case. But I called because he might have tried to bluff me. Anyway, he cold called with 97o

Fantam
06-11-2005, 09:47 AM
I think you have to call this river raise.

You probably are beaten by trip 7's, but your opponent might be betting when a scare card arrives on the river as a bluff.

If you always fold the river in these situations for 1 more bet when the pot is quite big, players will notice and start bluffing at you on the end with nothing.

BlackRain
06-11-2005, 10:12 AM
I would make this call as well. Though you say you lost here, be happy that there are people out there who will to call a PF raise with 97o, and then call down to the river if they hit a pair on the flop. Its horrible poker and these people will pay you off bigtime longrun.

AlmightyJay
06-11-2005, 10:22 AM
You played this fine. This is definitely not a fold unless you have an EXTREMELY solid read that he would only do this with a 7. You'll be shown a weak ace, a pocket pair, or a total bluff here enough to make this a fine call. Don't forget, some bad players just love to bluff at every scare card, and other bad players see that river and think, "Yay, I have two pair, raise!"

Deamon2
06-11-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bad players see that river and think, "Yay, I have two pair, raise!"

[/ QUOTE ]

some guy in a live game at school was agruing with me about this. I had AQ, flopped an ace, he had something like Kx and flopped a king. The board paired the river, I bet, he reaised, I called. I said "I have an ace". He replied "Ok I have 2 pair" and reached for the pot. "So do I buddy"