PDA

View Full Version : moving up---not too long

college kid
06-11-2005, 06:42 AM
For the past few weeks I've been playing 30s and 50s on Party after playing mostly 20s. I've found the twenties to be much easier and mostly you just get your hands paid off and wade it out into the money and outplay your way to first. (These guys will call with any hand heads up, pretty much)

For the 30s and 50s, usually I just pick up pots, because the players are tighter post-flop, and then just try and pick up chips when I see a chance--and if I happen to get a hand, awesome.

I want to plug a leak in my 30 and 50s. My big trouble is when it's four or five handed and getting close to the money, and I have managed to only stay about even or a little less-- like 600-700 in the 30s and 800-1000 in the 50s (the 50s start with T1000) and it's level 5 or 6. I don't know exactly what kind of risks to take to pick up the blinds and when or when not to shove.

For example, with three other people and me, I had eights on the button, and the blinds were one and two. I had T1200, and every one else had between 1500 and 2500. I didn't know if I should min-raise, shove, or just fold. I shoved and got called by an ace nine and lost and that's the way it goes.

A similar sitation happened when I had T800 in the SB, with four people total, and I had fours and blinds were 150-300. I'm not very upset about this since I had so few chips and was just facing the BB, but I still wonder.

From my experience in the $20+2 SnGs, I have been waiting for a hand even when I have one or two blinds left, and that has gotten me in the money a lot, because I get four callers if I shove in the 20s SnGs, but I've found in the 30s and 50s it seems more right to try and get blinds and build chips as fast as possible, so when I'm short stacked, I take these chances. Once I get in the money, as long as I have more than three blinds, I can almost always pick up first or second.

Any thoughts? Keeping shoving on the coin flips or not??? What stack size should change my mind??? How would you all do this???? Thanks, and sorry for the length.

Taraz
06-11-2005, 06:47 AM
I have a feeling a lot of people are going to get mad at you and tell you to use the search function. But I'm in a good mood so try looking here:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1918735&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

college kid
06-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Sorry /images/graemlins/blush.gif

PancakeBoy
06-11-2005, 09:08 AM
keep shoving, you're playing correctly

Mr_J
06-11-2005, 11:02 AM
"For example, with three other people and me, I had eights on the button, and the blinds were one and two. I had T1200, and every one else had between 1500 and 2500. I didn't know if I should min-raise, shove, or just fold. I shoved and got called by an ace nine and lost and that's the way it goes.

A similar sitation happened when I had T800 in the SB, with four people total, and I had fours and blinds were 150-300. I'm not very upset about this since I had so few chips and was just facing the BB, but I still wonder. "

Don't wanna offend you but maybe you should just play the $22s until your bubble game is more confident?

"Any thoughts? Keeping shoving on the coin flips or not??? "

Look at the maths behind it. With 44 yes you are usually a coinflip, but when you get called here you are risking 650 for a profit of 950. You have 2xbb if you fold, have no folding equity (800 stack has some at least) and you probally won't find a better hand to die with than a PP. Easy push (I'm assuming there's nothing tricky like 2 of the other guys about to bust out).

"I didn't know if I should min-raise, shove, or just fold."

Minraise is usually a poor move. It invites people to call or come back over the top. A hand like 88 doens't want this, it wants to take the pot down without a showdown, and the easiest way to do this is push preflop for maximum folding equity.

"What stack size should change my mind???"

Stacksize always is a major influence on shorterhanded situations.