PDA

View Full Version : Betting a middle pair at the flop?

sirana
06-11-2005, 06:14 AM
Pacific Poker 0.5/1 7handed

EP, MP, B are loose players, BB is loose passive, CO posted a BB to play

I am SB with 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

EP, MP call, CO checks, B calls, I raise <font color="red"> </font>, everybody except CO calls (5 players, 11 Small bets)

Flop is: 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, everybody except MP calls (4 players, 7.5 Big Bets)

Turn is: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, BB bets, everybody calls to me, I call (4 players, 11.5 Big bets)

River is 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, BB bets, EP calls, B raises, I fold

I figured I had to bet the flop to protect my hand, but I worry that I generally play the flop to aggressive, so I wanted to hear oppinions of better players.
Also I am not sure if the turn call was right.

milesdyson
06-11-2005, 06:22 AM
The turn bet you invested is much more worthwhile if you spend it by betting and folding if you're raised by a passive player. If you get a couple callers on the QQ65 board at the turn, bet the river because they don't have a queen.

The way you played it, you seem to give the loose passive BB credit for having the queens, yet you call the turn. Are you planning to check call a single river bet from the passive player? The problem here is that he will often only bet when he does, in fact, have you beaten. Do you really expect a passive player to bet something like A6/A5 on the turn and river in a 4-way pot on a QQ65 board?

sirana
06-11-2005, 06:33 AM
I am not sure I fully understood your answer...
The flop bet was right, but I should have also bet the turn (fold if raised and bet the river if not)?
but the river seems a pretty scary card to me, putting 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif on the table. should I have bet the river regardless? (if I had bet the turn and nobody raised)

milesdyson
06-11-2005, 06:43 AM
If you completely ignored every backdoor flush that came through on the river when deciding whether or not to bet, it would not hurt you (in fact it would probably help you to get over your fears of someone actually having the flush).

[ QUOTE ]
I should have also bet the turn (fold if raised and bet the river if not)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, because you will not get value the times you're ahead (because they won't bet hands you beat, but they will call with them.

Jaran
06-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Turn is not good. C/c is the last line I would take (right after openfolding). Personally, I like bet/fold here. C/f isn't too bad.

-Jaran