PDA

View Full Version : How would YOU guys play this hand?

DreamMaster
06-11-2005, 05:24 AM
I played in a NL Holdem tourney a few days ago when the following hand came up:

The blinds were 1000-2000 and I have 23000 in chips. I was 2nd in chip position at my table and there were three 8-handed tables left in the tournament. The top 10 got paid.

After the cards were dealt, the short stack second to act pushes his remaining 7000 chips into the pot. It is folded around to me one before the button and I pick up AQs. By looking at this guy I knew I had a better hand because he was looking desperate. I decide that I am at least calling, but instead I decide to push my entire 23000 into the pot to drive everybody out behind me. Unfortunately for me, the only stack bigger than mine at the table is on the button and he stares me down for about 30 seconds and calls with his KK. I don't hit anything and I am out of the tournament.
(The guy who went all in originally had AJ btw)

How would you guys have played this hand? Would you have done the same play I did and I just got unlucky that the guy behind me woke up with kings? Would you have just called and then folded (or called) if reraised? Or would you have just folded altogether? Your thoughts appreciated.

bugstud
06-11-2005, 05:27 AM
sorry you lost

TheJackal
06-11-2005, 07:04 AM
If you call and someone moves in behind you, you can't fold here since you put in 33% of your stack. So calling is not an option. I think you played it right, just bad luck. I think the other big stacks calling range is pretty slim (like probably JJ-AA, AK). I think you played it right, just bad luck. It's only those times you lose that you think you did something wrong, but that's not always the case.