PDA

View Full Version : Question about AA preflop and implied odds

ecm1185
06-11-2005, 05:12 AM
Since the chance of hitting a set on the flop is 1:7.5 or about 13%, if you have AA is it a common mistake to not raise enough preflop?

Let's say you are playing 100NL and everyone has $100 at the table. If you are not going to fold to a set raise, are you giving everyone with a small pocket pair great implied odds against you if you dont raise preflop to at least $13? I know I am overlooking something but can't figure out what. Any input would be appreciated.

wtfsvi
06-11-2005, 05:43 AM
What you are missing is that you can get away from AA postflop if you sense you are beat. (And the possibility of set over set, but that doesn't skew things very much. A little bit though, especially if you can never get away from AA postflop.)

You won't stack good players very often with unimproved AA. When good players get into the deep money and you hold unimproved AA, you should probably have folded it somewhere (, or at least practised some pot control). Just be satisfied with a medium sized pot.

Against bad players, who will call off their stack with TPTK or flush draws, the profitability from the times you are ahead and they call off their stack far outweighs the losses from when they have sets. (And you can often get away when they have sets/two pair as well. When the loose passives get aggressive, it means something.)

In short, don't make a huge raise that tells everyone what you hold and makes them fold. (I actually played against a guy like that last night. He raised it up to 15BB from EP, and probably saved me my stack right there, since I just mucked my kings. (He also had a pfr of 2%, otherwise I probably couldn't have done that.)) Just make a normal one.