PDA

View Full Version : Maybe slightly less boring 5-10 river decision

Ulysses
06-11-2005, 03:16 AM
5-handed UB 5-10. Just sat down, never seen any of these guys before. I have 1k, opponent has 2k.

I open for $35 w/ Qc Qh
BB calls

Flop (board: 3s 2s Th):

BB checks. I bet $75. BB calls.

Turn (board: 3s 2s Th) 7s

BB checks. I bet $175. BB calls.

River (board: 3s 2s Th 7s) 3c

BB instabets pot $575.

Your move?

fsuplayer
06-11-2005, 03:41 AM
looks like he had the flush and planned on leading out but clicked the auto bet before really checking the board.

Garland
06-11-2005, 03:45 AM
I think this is a pretty standard fold, but I'd be watching BB pretty carefully from now on.

Garland

Your Mom
06-11-2005, 03:48 AM
Absent reads, I fold. Flush and a boat are both viable hands here. Plus you don't beat AA or KK, although that would be pretty goofy. I don't think AT plays it like this, so the only thing you beat is a bluff. Hell of a bluff using the insta bet pot thing if he is indeed bluffing. I'd give him credit this time and fold, but I sure as hell wouldn't like it.

captZEEbo1
06-11-2005, 06:52 AM
Only hand you beat here is 54 I guess. Really goofy way to play a flush though, but I see some people play it this way.

Ezcheeze
06-11-2005, 07:37 AM
Well by folding you certainly open yourself up to being exploited since QQ is well above the 50th percentile of hands youll have here given the previous action.

BUT, most poeple who take this line will have you beat more than 33% of the time, soooooo..... fold.

Most poeple if they're gonna put you to the test do it on the turn and this is usually a bet looking to be paid off. It sucks to follow advice involving "most" and "usually" when all htat really matters is the specific player, but with no reads i guess thats all you have to go on.

-Ezcheeze

Ulysses
06-11-2005, 04:49 PM
I definitely considered folding, but I thought about it for a second and it didn't really add up. A guy willing to play HU 5-10 with a full stack is not the kind of guy who normally gets all scared w/ a set when a flush card hits, so a set felt like it would give me more flop or turn action. And I just didn't buy the turn check-call followed by a quick river pot as a line that felt like a flush.

So, after some deliberation, I called.

He showed KsTc.

It took me so long to figure out that I was going to call that I neglected to look at my stack size. Had I done that, I would have shoved the remaining $150 in as well.

The Antagonizer
06-11-2005, 06:19 PM
I'd need a read to fold here.

Ray Zee
06-11-2005, 08:43 PM
you got lucky as usual. maybe it isnt a good idea to bet on 4th street. i would have folded on the river and lost while you won.
i think you are eating too much red meat lately and that has made you too aggressive with your betting. try fish.

Marnixvdb
06-12-2005, 06:41 AM
hi Ray,

I am interested what hand you give opponent credit for, to fold here. I think neither a flush nor a straight nor a set would play the hand like opponent did. His call on the turn seems to be a call to improve, almost all hands that beat QQ would raise there. The 3 river is unlikely to have helped him, except for the rare case that he has As3x - but I'd expect him to value bet with that hand.

The bet sure looks scary at first sight, but exactly for that it doesnt look like opponent wants a call. So without a read I say call it - you have decent odds to win the pot and it'll give you valuable info on how he plays.

Marnix