PDA

View Full Version : High Stakes Game Protection Question for Ray Zee

MMMMMM
01-09-2003, 12:38 PM
What is your advice on how to avoid being cheated by marked cards in high-limit poker?

Much has been made of the recent claims (some outlandish) regarding this subject. While the chances of being cheated are probably remote, at high stakes it doesn't take but once to lose a huge sum of money. You have managed to beat high limit games for many years now and I would guess there have been times you have simply walked away from a game, when a less astute but very good player would have played on. Any cautions you wish to share, especially regarding avoiding marked cards, would be appreciated.

MMMMMM
01-09-2003, 04:16 PM
In other words what types of things might make you suspicious, what types of things to be aware of that decent players wouldn't automatically be alert to anyway. Maybe some subtle things which would strike you as odd but which many of us probably wouldn't notice. Thanks

Ray Zee
01-09-2003, 07:39 PM
good players feel when something isnt right. also you should be able to see by how hands are played whether someone knew something. but you cant always know, so you should always quit when you arent in touch with the game. thats the best protection. also learn to read the marks so you can play it right back at them if they get the cards in. insist on dealers dealing in such a way you cant be cheated from a mechanic. thats hard as few cardrooms will do anything for the players protection from the dealers. if its a public game take the cards out as you need to protect the others that are getting screwed as well. learn who the capable cheats are then you can be aware of their plays when the fix is in. the rest of the time they play badly.
some times you get cheated and there is nothing you can do but smile after its over. overall knowledge is king in this spot. play only in places you trust if you are a neophyte. most of the time if you dont know the players and such you arent good enough to beat them anyway in the big games. its a tough racket.

MMMMMM
01-09-2003, 08:21 PM
thanks Ray

In other contexts you've mentioned quitting when you feel out of touch with the game (mainly, I think, as a means of preventing losses). Intuitively I feel that is very important, and I know I would have saved many losses if I had followed this principle more often--just talking in general here, nothing to do with being cheated or anything else other than playing winning poker.