PDA

View Full Version : Help! Archilles heel against Ax...

paranoidiac
01-09-2003, 11:49 AM
Okay, I just don't know how to play in this situation and I'm getting smacked everytime and worse looking like the idiot I am. I play in a loose 6-12 game. Most players play any A regardless of whether there's a raise. Case in point: I have AKs ep. Raise. My nemesis is one off the button.

Flop: AT6. I bet. He calls. Other fold.
Turn: AT63. I bet. He raises. Ugh. 2pair fer sure. Call.
River:AT63x I check. He bets. I call. Dead.

I bet the turn because the odds were he had Ax and DIDN'T catch his second pair but I know he would call me to the river. I'm just so confused. Help me o poker gurus:

-In this sort of game, is it better to limp with AK?
-Should I bet or check the turn when I get chasers on the flop?
-If raised, do you just dump?

Help!!!!!

eee
01-10-2003, 04:13 AM
You already know what to do. You read your opponent for two pair. "for sure" Check and fold the river. Reading your opponents is part of the game use the info. Then your next step will be. these guys know i can fold are they bluffing?

Feel It. Use It

Ed Miller
01-10-2003, 05:45 AM
You already know what to do. You read your opponent for two pair. "for sure" Check and fold the river.

If he's going to muck based on his read (perfectly reasonable), he should be mucking to the turn raise, not on the river. He doesn't have odds to draw to his 3-outter.

bernie
01-10-2003, 03:04 PM
"He doesn't have odds to draw to his 3-outter. "

in this spot, if you know he has 2 pair on the turn, its an easy call to the river...

he has 9 outs, not 3.

folding here would be a mistake, and you have plenty of odds to call this bet.

b

Ed Miller
01-10-2003, 06:42 PM
He has 9 outs, not 3.

He only has 9 outs if his opponent has exactly A3. On the other hand, he is drawing dead against a set. He has 3 outs against AT and 6 against A6. He has 8 outs against the smaller two pair (relatively unlikely on this board).

Let's assume that four people saw the flop for two bets each... bet and call on the turn... then bet and raise on the river. The pot is laying him 8-1 on his turn call, meaning he needs an average of 6 outs to call. Furthermore, he will be calling a river bet sometimes when he has improved, but he was drawing dead. Since his opponent has position on him, though, he is less likely to get an extra bet on the end when he has improved to the best hand.

I don't think it's a clear call at all.

bernie
01-10-2003, 09:57 PM
true...thats only if he has the bottom kicker...

but id take a chance on the 6 outer here against this type of opponent.

put it this way, you know he has at least 2 pair...if you dont hit youre folding on the river...if you hit, then you can call....

b