PDA

View Full Version : The nature of reads requires a mature mind.

KrackedKings
01-09-2003, 11:31 AM
Stay with me on this one. There's something about poker in here somewhere, or something related to poker, or gambling, or something.

After a tiring long session practicing stacking decks, nulifying cuts, and special shuffles (for childern's parties), I decided to relax by going into my multicultural mode. I did several minutes spinning around on my axis to work up a good trance. I didn't do the usual Sufi spin this time, it was more of a tribal medicine man do good work for the tribe sort of spin (different music, hand held differently, and, oh yeah -- no dress. I got to wear my shaman's astral flying gear).

I recovered from my fall rather quick, I might add, then, it was a toss up between multi-lingual channel surfing (a.k.a. oggling hot Hispanic chicks strutting their stuff) or reading this intimidating tome by a scholar with Ph.d.s from Oxford University, Paris University and several of those other places where it is rumored that there was actually an exchange of ideas between students and professors once upon a time.

OK, I flipped a coin... and lost.

So, somewhere in the middle of all the usual stuff about tribal religion and tribal magic, the author had a one page discussion of what it takes to be "mature" in our present world.
1) The ability to form sharp distinct lines in your assessment of reality, and to disagree with others about these distinctions.
2) The ability to form initial assessments with minimal information, and quickly.
3) The ability to use this temporary hypothetical view in a practical way.
4) The ability to adapt, alter, or completely reassess the hypothetical with new or contradictory information.
The above takes a great deal of maturity.

This gives me a clue of why I can't read other players... it's a maturity issue. Dang.

KrackedKings
01-09-2003, 04:35 PM
Well...
It's back to lurking and actually trying to learn good poker for me.

Good Luck to everyone, even if ya don't need it.

Kracked ...

Hey, I never made it to my 25 post (sniff), I never made it to the esteemed status of "Newbie"

pufferfish
01-09-2003, 05:07 PM
Why aren't you going to post anymore?

I have to admit I was lost until I got to the "mature" list. I don't believe the list is complete but items 2, 3, and 4 certainly appear applicable to poker.

I find reading other players pretty difficult myself. Some, I think, can't be read well if at all because of their "any 2" and "any draw" kind of play. But, in a way, that's a read in itself.

Don't stop posting. If you reply to this you'll get number 25 and that illustrious "Newbie" designation. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

pf

KrackedKings
01-12-2003, 12:10 PM
Just wanted to wish you luck on your job situation.

There are a couple of areas I need to be serious about. I just cut back on the amount of work I was doing on my job -- from 80 Hrs/Week to 40 Hrs/wk. I now have an opportunty to work with some great people doing some creative work I've wanted to do for awhile or alternatively, I want to move my online poker from a paying hobby to something that pays better. (I've only played about 120 hours of 1-2 and 2-4 poker with some steady but small earnings -- but this while working long hours)
On the other hand, some serious programmers are interested in helping do a web site that I've been considering doing for several years now. Two of these guys have been successful project managers for multiple projects in the past and they like my ideas.
Even if poker stays at the hobby level for me, I probably will post from time to time, especially on the Internet Forum.

Thanks again,
Made it to the much esteemed "Newbie" title