PDA

View Full Version : Tiny breakthrough

brettbrettr
06-10-2005, 11:59 PM
BB is an unknown.

I basically default to betting the turn HU with an u/i ace and checking behind if I miss but on this board I think I"m much better off checking the turn, right? There's really nothing I beat here...

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5.20 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5.20 BB

eric5148
06-11-2005, 12:02 AM
I play it the same.

brettbrettr
06-11-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I play it the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I don't see the point in a turn bet here.

sweetjazz
06-11-2005, 12:08 AM
I think this is still a tough call. Some players routinely call a flop bet with anything and then release on the turn.

However, you really don't want to be checkraised on the turn here, because it puts you in an ugly spot, putting 1 or 2 bets in with the worst hand (I think calling versus folding is pretty close in this spot).

OTOH, you'd hate to check behind when your opponent has AJ (or possibly worse, e.g. A5 or J9) and then be bet off the hand on the river.

Also, there is a straight draw possible on the flop, though I suspect most 5/10 players would put a raise in on the flop with QJ.

Against an aggressive player, I'd probably check behind on the turn. I'd call a river bet UI if he was pretty loose in his BB play and his flop calls.

Against a passive player, I'd bet the turn, unless he's so weak tight that he would check-fold any flop that didn't hit him. Then you can take your free card (but you need a solid read to assume he plays this way, imho).

Anyway, just some thoughts from someone who hasn't played 5/10 at all.

Shillx
06-11-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I play it the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I don't see the point in a turn bet here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't afford to check the turn through here too often IMO. The problem with checking is that people will begin to call you more on the flop (with weaker hands) since they will often times get to see both the turn and river for one SB. When it is otherwise close, I think that you should bet with the intention of not putting any more money in the pot.

Brad

sweetjazz
06-11-2005, 12:11 AM
A read would help.

Ax or J9 might call the flop. 44-99 might call the flop but fold to a turn bet. QJ might play this passively.

The real danger is that BB might check-raise you on the turn, and you're basically in a spot where you have to either concede your turn BB without seeing the river or pay an extra BB to try to improve on the river. Neither option is attractive.

brettbrettr
06-11-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't afford to check the turn through here too often IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not changing my play by any means. I just think this particular board might not be a bad one to take a free card.

sweetjazz
06-11-2005, 12:14 AM
A corollary of your logic is that you *should* check behind here against very loose and aggressive players, with the intention of calling a river bet.

In this instance, you want to exagerrate their mistake in the other direction, and you will often induce a bluff from A9 (in addition to the times you beat KJ on the river with an A, or take KT for a ride when you spike a J on the river).

TheDelChop
06-11-2005, 01:44 AM
I don't think a turn bet is that bad, just fold to a checkraise. Value bet any A Q or J on the river. Again I would consider folding to a river checkraise.