PDA

View Full Version : Does standard WA/WB apply here?

topspin
06-10-2005, 11:39 PM
This table was squeaky-tight preflop, with plenty of folding around to LP followed by steal raises. I'm getting ready to leave when the blind comes around when I pick up this hand. I haven't seen villain play more than a hand or two in the last two orbits, and he hasn't shown anything down yet.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ...

My plan postflop in this hand was check/check/bet, but upon seeing this board develop I'm concerned about whether check/call might be better. Against any normal villain, the only 3-betting hands that I now beat are QQ and JJ, which may or may not call a river bet. AA/KK/TT/AK will all obviously raise, and I don't think I can bring myself to fold to a raise. The chance that QQ and JJ bets the river if I check is probably about the same as QQ/JJ calling a river bet (am I off here?)

Thoughts?

shadow29
06-10-2005, 11:41 PM
C/C.

Please note that the WA/WB doesn't mean that you have to bet.

Damn, tat was the first time I've used italics in a long time.

Besides getting around the censor. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shillx
06-10-2005, 11:55 PM
I think that it is pretty close between check/folding and check/calling if you knew that the player was a TAG. Check/calling looks to be the best play against an unknown. Betting here really doesn't make any sense imo. Betting is even worse if you can't fold to a raise.

Other Comments: Against a known good player, I don't really like the turn check/call. You should bet/call there and then check/fold the river if he raises. If he just calls, bet/fold the river and make a note.

Against a very good player I would bet the turn and call down if raised. This of course assumes that you both have good reads about each other. Against a run of the mill TAG I don't really like calling down in this spot since the typical player will blow you away if they have a hand. Not many are savvy enough to wait till the river to raise (this is why I like a bet/fold on the river against a TAG in case they can make this play). The problem with check/calling is that they will check QQ back, but they might call one on the end in case you are semi-bluffing. He will certainly have you beat when he raises here.

Even against an unknown player, I like betting the turn in this spot (slightly more then check/calling) and then calling down if you get raised. Make notes after the hand is done.

Brad

oreogod
06-11-2005, 02:02 AM
Why call down after getting raised by a very good player? Are u thinking you're getting semi-bluffed if they are aware of this play?

I definitly like betting the turn, calling a raise and folding the river. Does anybody fold the turn if u bet and are raised? I dont think u can with your additional outs. Say u dont have the gutshot, fold the turn if raised?