PDA

View Full Version : Going to war HU with flopped TP...

chesspain
06-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Foxwoods 5-10...opponent seems like your basic twentysomething, "tries to play well" kind of player. However, I don't have much of a read except that he seems kind of tight, as he hasn't played too many hands in the 3-4 orbits he's been at the table. And he may well think I'm tight also, since I had been card dead for the prior hour.

UTG calls, and it's folded around to me in the BB where I check with J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

Flop: 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, UTG raises, I reraise, UTG calls.

Turn: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, UTG raises, I call.

River: J /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check with the intention of checkraising...

toss
06-10-2005, 08:41 PM
I would play it the same way.

Also I ask, Do people get ticked that you sandbag 'em on the river? No question I would do it if I saw the chance, but do people play harder against you or even verbally abuse you if you sandbag 'em on the river?

MHarris
06-10-2005, 09:04 PM
Do you intend to pay off a river 3-bet?

Nick C
06-10-2005, 11:31 PM
UTG has actually shown quite a bit of strength in this hand, on a board that's more likely to hit someone who got a free play in the BB than a tight UTG limper.

Let's see, though. Here are some possibilities:

A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif
a fastplayed set
an unimproved overpair to the flop such as 99 or TT
A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
J /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif
T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

For some of these possibilities, it really depends on how tricky he is, and we don't really know. But if he's tricky enough to raise the turn with a weak/marginal made hand either because he also has a strong draw or because he wants to try to represent the queen, then I am a little worried he'll take the free showdown.

Also, I don't know what suited Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif hands he'd limp with UTG. But maybe a hand like K /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif isn't a raise for him, and maybe he plays Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in EP.

If he just has hearts and picked up a gutshot on the turn, though, possibly he'll fire one last time when he wouldn't have called. Edit: Ugh. Scratch that. If he picked up a gutshot, he hit his hand or made a pair of jacks. (And if he just made a pair of jacks, I'm wondering if he'd be tempted to take the showdown instead of betting. I guess probably he'd value-bet instead. But would he call the checkraise?)

I don't know. Those are just some thoughts. After finally clearing my bonus tonight by playing 1/2 6-max and getting clobbered on the river a couple of times, I'm probably a little more timid right now than I should be. And, also, I'm pretty sure I don't checkraise the river enough.

One thing that would make me hesitate here is that I want to see a showdown with my two pair hand in a pot that began heads-up, and I don't want to pay three bets to do it. I suspect folding instead if the checkraise got 3-bet could be the sensible play, but I might have trouble making it.

So I guess that's my long-winded way of saying I don't know what's best.

tytygoodnuts
06-10-2005, 11:41 PM
I think it is a close play between just checking and calling and going for the checkraise. This guy is representing a set. He clearly wants some action from you since he just called the flop 3-bet and raised the turn.

brettbrettr
06-11-2005, 12:06 AM
Looks like he missed a lrr and wanted to raise you on every street? I might bet and 3-bet the river. Would suck it he 4-bet, cuz you'd have to call.

Nick C
06-11-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks like he missed a lrr and wanted to raise you on every street?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Yeah, that is possible.

Trix
06-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Just call down from the flopraise, you dont want to blow him off something worse here.

I´d fold the turn the way you played. Qxh,55,33,88,AQ,KQ,big pair all beats you, I´m not sure what you are hoping to be against.

xorbie
06-11-2005, 01:02 AM
I don't like the river. I think after the flop his turn seems like a classic raise to see a free showdown, possibly with a hand like 99/TT that he doesn't feel is going to improve but could certainly be good. I think almost any hand that feels it is good here is going to raise a river bet anyway.

TheDelChop
06-11-2005, 01:20 AM
A checkraise on the river is fine, but you need to be prepared to fold to a 3-bet.

It would take alot of balls to 3-bet you on the river with a hand that couldn't beat Jacks up and in fact, I think he may only call the checkraise with alot of hands that you can't beat like Queens up.

A river checkraise screams "I have a really good hand!" and a river 3-bet screams "That's nice and I just pwned you!" Checkraise for value but also fold and save a bet.

chesspain
06-11-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just call down from the flopraise, you dont want to blow him off something worse here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems really weak, especially if he could be raising for a free card.

[ QUOTE ]
I´d fold the turn the way you played. Qxh,55,33,88,AQ,KQ,big pair all beats you, I´m not sure what you are hoping to be against.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hhmm...interesting. There are 7BB in the pot when the action is back to me after the turn raise. Might folding to the turn raise be best given opponent's likely range of hands? I'm a little too tired now to try to calculate this.

And I had initially thought that the river was the most difficult choice to be had.

Trix
06-11-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This seems really weak, especially if he could be raising for a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think he will take a free card heads up ?

chesspain
06-11-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You think he will take a free card heads up ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why he wouldn't take a free card, especially if he has two overcards or a flush draw. Consequently, since I did think I had the best hand, I thought that the three-bet was a no-brainer.

oreogod
06-11-2005, 02:10 AM
I like his play. I play my sets that way for the most part when I get played back at. Especially having position.

Pat Southern
06-11-2005, 04:22 AM
I'd bet the river and call a raise. A hand like TT may take a free showdown, and I dont want to have to decide what to do vs. a 3 bet.

chesspain
06-11-2005, 08:46 AM
River: J /images/graemlins/club.gif

I checked, UTG bet, I checkraised, UTG thought for a moment, and called.

I flipped over my two-pair, and he flipped over Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the larger two-pair against which I was drawing dead from the turn.