PDA

View Full Version : WPT - DANGEROUSLY Cheesey

slupo
06-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Remember that Cheeto's commercial where Chester Cheetah is at the Cheeto factory and he turns the knob on the machine from "Cheesey" to "DANGEROUSLY Cheesey?"

Well, even if you don't, the WPT is certainly at the DANGEROUSLY Cheesey level if not right off the scale.

From Shana Hiatt's fluff pieces (not that her other pieces aren't worth watching) to VP's and Sexton's so bad it went past good and back to bad again commentary and let's not forget the recent "voice-over" promos that look like rejects from the Yugoslavian version of "Whose Line Is It Anyway?", the WPT is cheesier than ever.

What can be done? First of all, they need to pull the reigns back on VP and Sexton. They are simply out of control. These guys spit out hackneyed cliches like they're going out of style. Plus, they are both color commentators. They need a straight, play by play man. I would suggest Phil Gordon. He knows the game well, knows the math and he's boring enough to offset any wackiness VP or Sexton can throw out there (depending on which one the keep).

Much as I love Shana, she (and now her replacement) should be relegated to giving MEANINGFUL post game interviews with knocked out players. Not the "so what did you think when he called your all-in with nothing?" Duh. Are we really gaining insight into the mind of a pro-poker player with a question like that? And no more fluff pieces! For the love of god! I don't want to see a piece on which brand of toilet paper pro-poker players prefer! I don't care!

Get some better writers. Those voice-over commercials are simply horrifying. Everytime I see one I want to poke out my eyes with a hot soldering iron and flush them down the toilet.

SHOW MORE POKER. I mean REAL poker. We don't have to show every all in hand. We want to see the little but interesting hands. Perhaps when they do a player bio, they go over hand highlights from the tournament up until that point.

And along those lines, when we say final table, let's show a final table. Not a 6 person table. We want the full 10 person table so we can see play change to a short handed game as players get knocked off.

Show us more info. Keep a graphic in the corner or at the bottom of the screen that shows us the essentials. Like what level they are at, the blinds, the antes and maybe when a player is up on screen, their chip stack size.

Get rid of the money presentation BS! I don't really care for seeing a bunch of juggling monkeys on unicycles carry out the cash. It just doesn't do anything for me. Just have Shana bring it out in a bikini and let that be the end of it.

If anybody else has anything to add, please feel free to. I apologize if this is a retread but I've had my fill of this nonsense.

DarthIgnurnt
06-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Sadly, the WPT isn't targeting hardcore poker geeks like me (and it sounds ... like you too).

And let's keep it that way ... I think it's worth a little bad poker on television to ensure the endless stream of idiots who think "Hey, I can do that too" and throw a grand into a Party Poker account.

TheShootah
06-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Haha, this is true, but I wouldn't mind seeing a show where they really dig into poker. Get Lederer as the commentator, and some other guy, maybe Erik Lindgren. He did a great job on the PSI finals. I think they should do what that one tourney at the Turning Stone did. Show an entire final table! 4 hours, all live poker. No cut hands. Everything. That would be awesome. That tourney was the best thing ever. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

toots
06-10-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, they need to pull the reigns back on VP and Sexton. They are simply out of control. These guys spit out hackneyed cliches like they're going out of style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nicely self-referential of you.

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, they are both color commentators. They need a straight, play by play man. I would suggest Phil Gordon. He knows the game well, knows the math and he's boring enough to offset any wackiness VP or Sexton can throw out there (depending on which one the keep).

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn straight. But then, we'd have to give up the non-straight wackiness between him and Dave Foley. Lederer (as mentioned) is also another great choice.

[ QUOTE ]
Much as I love Shana, she (and now her replacement) should be relegated to giving MEANINGFUL post game interviews with knocked out players. Not the "so what did you think when he called your all-in with nothing?" Duh. Are we really gaining insight into the mind of a pro-poker player with a question like that? And no more fluff pieces! For the love of god! I don't want to see a piece on which brand of toilet paper pro-poker players prefer! I don't care!

[/ QUOTE ]

If it has to be a female babe, Erin whatsername from Maxim would do fine. Otherwise, Lederer would be a little more to my liking for the eye-candy part of the show. Or Gus Hansen. Maybe he can make some money back doing to fluff-work on WPT when Shana leaves.

[ QUOTE ]
Get some better writers. Those voice-over commercials are simply horrifying. Everytime I see one I want to poke out my eyes with a hot soldering iron and flush them down the toilet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, just replace the commercials and the fluff segments with real-time streaming video of those writers being locked inside a 5x5x5 sweat box with a bunch of randy cats.

[ QUOTE ]
SHOW MORE POKER. I mean REAL poker. We don't have to show every all in hand. We want to see the little but interesting hands. Perhaps when they do a player bio, they go over hand highlights from the tournament up until that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean something other than the pelvic all-in-thrust, followed by assorted shenanigans running around the table?

You mean there's strategy in NL HE after the flop? Will wonders never cease?

[ QUOTE ]
And along those lines, when we say final table, let's show a final table. Not a 6 person table. We want the full 10 person table so we can see play change to a short handed game as players get knocked off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like it to be more like some of the Faux coverage or even the EOE WSOHE ME coverage - show more than just the final table. Devote four to eight hours of coverage to a single event, showing the feature and other tables from beginning to end.

[ QUOTE ]

Get rid of the money presentation BS! I don't really care for seeing a bunch of juggling monkeys on unicycles carry out the cash. It just doesn't do anything for me. Just have Shana bring it out in a bikini and let that be the end of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as she's accompanied by Gus in a speedo, we're on the same page.

yoadrians
06-10-2005, 08:53 PM
I disagree. The WPT isn't marketed for 'real' poker players to watch. They're trying to make it interesting for the fish ... and anything that keeps the fish interested in poker - and at my tables - is a good thing.

I mean, do you really want a show that TEACHES the fish how to play BETTER?!?!?!

Be careful what you ask for, gents. I say, let's leave the WPT's format alone and focus on more important issues like, I don't know, what the hell I'm going to eat for dinner tonight /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, agree to disagree. Take care.

dibbs
06-10-2005, 09:21 PM
While I'm not disagreeing with what you said, I hope you were being "ironical" when you said

"These guys spit out hackneyed cliches like they're going out of style"

Because "Doing _______ like it's going of style is quite cliche.

I do remember thinking the last episode was corny though, specially the part about the kids cheering circle.

texman
06-10-2005, 09:49 PM
someone like howard lederer do commentary he is great! wpt is geared way to much for the person who has never seen poker. It would be great to see a 10 man table or at least if they offered an unedited version that was longer - that would be a plus

2+2 wannabe
06-10-2005, 10:09 PM
watch live at the bike

otnemem
06-11-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, they need to pull the reigns back on VP and Sexton. They are simply out of control. These guys spit out hackneyed cliches like they're going out of style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nicely self-referential of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh.

RollaJ
06-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Tivo