PDA

View Full Version : Extracting Chips

minwoo
06-10-2005, 06:23 PM
To make final tables in MTTs, one must accumulate chips continuously. To accumulate chips, you must be a master at extracting as many chips as possible in a given situation.

I know that luck has alot to do with whether a certain hand will make you or break you. But putting luck aside, I really would like to master the technique of identifying WHEN the situation warrants the use of maximum extraction, ie: slowplaying.

I think the justification of slow playing depends on four things: the strength of the hand, stack size, players involved, texture of flop.

Strength of hand - obvious reason, because of the decreased chance that your hand will be beat/counterfeited.

Stack size - I think this is very important because your stack size determines how much of blow you can take in the case that your hand is counterfeited. Also, your stack size determines how much you can double/triple up.

Players involved - the more players involved, the more hands involved that can improve to counterfeit yours.

Texture of flop - you don't want to give free cards when your hand, which is best at the moment, can be easily drawn out

So my question to you guys...

What kind of standards do you have for slow playing?

What is the weakest hand you are willing to slow play if YOU KNOW that the opponent has a weaker hand to you.

Am I incorrect in believing that if I have a K2o and make a pair of kings on the flop....I WANT my opponent to stay involved to showdown if he has pocket QQ?

johnnybeef
06-10-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I incorrect in believing that if I have a K2o and make a pair of kings on the flop....I WANT my opponent to stay involved to showdown if he has pocket QQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a very fundamental question, and i highly recommend that you read sklansky's Theory of Poker. In short, you want your opponents to stay in with QQ providing he is not getting the right price. (i.e. on a board of K94 rainbow, K2o is a 9:1 favorite over QQ. This example is a pretty sh*tty one as im not sure if there is a way to give your opponents that good of a price in nl holdem....however in limit holdem if there is a big pot [say 10 bb and the qq would be last to call with one card to come, he would be correct in doing so])