PDA

View Full Version : UTG A-6

eatbush
01-08-2003, 08:25 PM
I'm wondering if I made a mistake. No-limit tourney. I was utg (seat1) with Ac-6s The game was loose aggressive. The rebuy just ended and I had $1100 and the blinds were $75-$150. I wanted to call but was afraid of an all in raise. I was one of the smaller stacks, the chip leader (seat 2) either raised of folded, rarely called. There was another madman (seat 4) playing just about every hand. Although the 3 hands he showed down were winners. of course 4 called so did 5, small blind called and BB just checked. Player in seat 5 had bad luck. No one raised and the flop was Ad-Kc-6c. turn was another club-deuce. river was a 7diamonds. everyone checked the turn. 5 bet all in after 4 checked on the river SB and BB folded 4 called. At the showdown 4 won it with A-Q.

Now after thinking about it I could have just folded if I were raised. That was would have put me in a good position instead of worrying about my going broke. I went broke a few hands later. I went all in A-Q and 2 called A-K. no pair for either of us.

livin and learnin the hard way. just hope I learn before I go broke. <font color="blue"> </font color> /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

ohkanada
01-08-2003, 10:57 PM
With 1150 and blinds of 75/150 you have 2 choices. Raise all-in or fold. If the blinds are about to double I may choose the raise option otherwise I would fold.

Don't be results oriented. I would have flopped quads a few weeks back with 82, but for some reason I folded pre-flop and wasn't around for the 222 flop!

Ken Poklitar

eatbush
01-10-2003, 01:47 AM
"don't be results oriented" I like that /forums/images/icons/wink.gif correct me if i'm wrong. but what you're really trying to say is play solid hands.

ohkanada
01-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Certainly play solid cards but playing the situation is critical. With blinds of 75-150 and a stack of 1150, you have about 8x the BB. You can afford to go through the blinds once and then you need to find a hand and go all-in.

You are short stacked and raising all-in UTG with A6 is not a terrible play. The key is to know when the blinds are increasing and to decide if you want gamble now or if you want to wait for a hand next round.

Ken Poklitar

sdplayerb
01-10-2003, 01:57 PM
I assume there were 8-10 people at the table.
I would have folded the A6. You would basically be playing this hand hoping for A6 or 66 on the flop. Anything else is bad.
I'd rather have A5 than A6 for straight possibilities.

Really, you'd be hoping for everybody to fold to your raise. Not worth risking your 1150 to win 225 as anybody that calls probably has your dominated or is a strong favorite. Yes you would have won here. But you have like a 1 in 40 shot of flopping two pair.
As Oh Kanada said, don't play results. You did the right thing.

If I had like 4x the bb, then I'd push in. Even if you lose your blinds the next two hands you will have position after that and then will be the time to play aggressive.

SD

audavidb
01-12-2003, 01:20 AM
Easy fold...you have several rounds to go to find a better oppty. If you were in the cutoff and it was folded to you, then maybe you can raise all in, but utg, you are simply trying to steal, since any call would have you domintated.

ohkanada
01-12-2003, 01:41 AM
"you have several rounds to go to find a better oppty"

Several? You may have 1 round while your stack is large enough to raise without getting called. Plus I am sure the blinds are increasing in the next round or 2.

Don't try to wait until you have no chips to play a hand!

Ken Poklitar