PDA

View Full Version : Bet this river?

brettbrettr
06-10-2005, 02:47 PM
After this turn action, I'm yelling "pair the board." What to make of the river action?

I don't have anything specific on opponents.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $3. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) checks, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds.

Flop: (12.33 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (12.16 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (24.16 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks,

mdrudeen
06-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Check through seems about right. I am pretty sure we have Mp2 beat but I am very concerned about UTG+1 's turn play

Hope he turned over pocket 10's

ihardlyknowher
06-10-2005, 03:04 PM
I would bet here. It makes no sense for either of them to check a straight here.

Nick C
[ QUOTE ]
What to make of the river action?

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG+1 was going for another checkraise or got worried his TT/44/J9 wasn't actually best after MP2 capped the turn?

MP2 started having second thoughts about his 44, K4, KK, KQ or whatnot? Or he figures you haven't failed to bet or raise yet when given the chance, so there's no reason to expect you to now?

Anyway, unless MP2 has KK, I think you have him beat. And if he's a player who checks with kings preflop, I'd kind of expect him to wait until the turn to go nuts after flopping a set (or at least go for a checkraise on the flop), but who knows?

I am worried about UTG+1, though. I don't know. I guess maybe you have a bet here, but I'd be so confused at this point and relieved not to be facing any more bets that there's a good chance I'd just check behind and take or give a free showdown.

Hand reading can be difficult sometimes, in a game as trappy as Party 3/6.

PokerSparky
Weird. Since MP2 posted, his range of hands here is very wide, but it appears he has two pair or a set of 4's (KK seems very unlikely) on the flop. The turn action pushes more toward the set of 4's.

On the turn AJ or J9 for UTG+1 seemed likely, but his check on the river doesn't make any sense.

I probably bet here. If UTG+1 has the sack to try for a check raise on the river, I guess I'm paying him off.

Nick C
06-10-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am very concerned about UTG+1 's turn play

[/ QUOTE ]

So am I. He's shown strength exactly once during the hand, but it was quite a show of strength.

And MP2's turn cap might've encouraged UTG+1 to go for another checkraise on the river.

coffeecrazy1
06-10-2005, 03:17 PM
I don't think a bet here would be terrible, but honestly, I, too, am worried about UTG+1. J9 seems unlikely, and I'm not too thrilled about the decision to hang around a raised pot with a gutshot draw, but I'm not entirely sure where we are...either 1st or 2nd...b/c we certainly have MP2 beat. Still...the river check is strange.

Either he hit his str8, or was bluffing and trying to buy his way out(had AT or something and hit lower pair, rather than draw). But, bluff seems unlikely b/c of rivercheck.

I think I check here, even if it ends up with me missing a bet, simply because it seems as though UTG+1, incredibly, has decided that he can get a second checkraise off on the river.

Malificent
06-10-2005, 03:36 PM
I think I end up checking here as well. I'm trying to figure out what UTG+1 could have that isn't a straight that would make sense.

paperboyNC
06-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Unless UTG+1 cold-called two-bets twice on the flop with a gutshot or someone has KK, you have the best hand.

MP2 likely hands are:
44, KQ, AK

UTG+1's likely hands are:
KT, KQ, K4, Q4, 44, QT

I see a situation where UTG+1 either flopped 2-pair or hit 2-pair on the turn. When you capped the turn, he realized that you don't have AA. You have KK or QQ. He therefore slowed down on the river.

blatz
06-10-2005, 04:34 PM
A lot of head scratching, and it's 50/50, I think, if UTG has either a smart alecky played 44 or A /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

As I could not fold to a check raise, I'm grudgingly checking it down, ready to make notes when the cards are shown.

Bodhi
06-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Based on the preflop action, I don't think anyone has KK, so the only hands you're behind on the turn are AJ or J9, which UTG+1 seems to be representing (I think you have MP2 beat). Why did he check the river? Is he intending to check-raise because MP2 hasn't slowed down? There's an outside possibility that UTG+1 has TT and now figures he's still beat on the river, but I really wonder what he was calling 2 cold with twice on the flop.
Lastly, utg+1 could have KQ for 2 pair and thought it would be clever to slowplay the flop. Based on all the action and our inability to really narrow down utg+1's holdings, you should bet the river.

Bodhi
06-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Can we really narrow down utg+1's holdings so well here? I don't think we can.

Bodhi
06-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Shouldn't the indeterminacy of utg+1's holdings make us more inclined to bet, not less? Oh well, I can see the merits of checking behind because we don't want to pay twice to showdown.

Bodhi
06-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Is utg+1 going to attempt a 2nd check-raise with a straight?