PDA

View Full Version : help with percentages

dopp16
06-10-2005, 01:01 PM
I need to know the ideal percentages for the following. I do understand that it is not necessarily a must and I should not alter my style just to match the percentages (all the time) but it is nice to know. I am a small stakes online player that is mildly successful (about a bb per hour)

Showdown win percentage
percent flops seen
reraise percentage
when you fold:

preflop:
turn:
river:
no fold

thanks!!

LetYouDown
06-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Well, I cranked out some pretty extreme calculus and a number of Nash equilibriums. I was only able to solve one, to a reasonable degree of certainty. Granted, this is only based on what I feel is "ideal".

Showdown win percentage = 100%

AaronBrown
06-10-2005, 03:45 PM
There are no ideal percentages. When you do things is more important than how often. And different games demand different strategies.

You can do some math with the values. At a 10-person table the blinds are usually 0.075 BB per hand. If you fold 80% of hands before the flop, that's -0.06 BB per hand for those. Let's say another 10% of the time you fold after putting in an average of 1.5 BB, there's -0.15 for a total of -0.21. 5% of the time the hand is folded to you, with an average pot of 2BB above your contribution. That's +0.1 BB, to get you back up to -0.11. On the remaining 5% you go to showdown, with an average of 4 BB in a pot of 12 BB. You win 40% of the time for +0.24 and lose 60% for -0.12. Add it up and you're up 0.01 BB per hand, which seems to be near your win rate.

Clearly these statistics are related. If you see more flops you'll win and lose more hands. If you raise more you will get more hands folded to you, and bigger pots when you win and lose.

A disciplined look at these statistics is more helpful than trying to hit some ideal percentage. You should be able to identify where you can pick up value.