PDA

View Full Version : Need some help plugging some leaks

pizzaman
06-10-2005, 12:44 PM
I have been enjoying more success in the later rounds of mtts. Been relying on my reads and playing accordingly. I have been noticing that my early round play needs some tweeking. I have been struggling w/ the wilder paly in the early rounds. I have been calling and trying to play more post-flop. I don't know that this is the best play. It seems that early round players are more willing to gamble and call all-ins. Is this observation true and is it a good move to move-in frequently in the first few levels? If so with what hands? If not then what? I can't seem to build a stack early often enough. I tend to have more succes in the 50-100 - 100-200 blind range.

DemonDeac
06-10-2005, 12:47 PM
what kinda buy in we talkin about here?

pizzaman
06-10-2005, 06:05 PM
$10-$20

nath
06-10-2005, 06:17 PM
In the early rounds I try to see the flop cheap, with position, with hands that will hit big (i.e. mid suited connectors and small-mid PPs). Not calling PF raises with those hands unless they're small and it's building into a big multiway pot. (I usually play UB and the blinds start at 5-10 which makes it easy to do with 1500 starting chips.)

At these lower-stakes tournaments especially you will find lots of bad players willing to go all in with very marginal (to be kind) holdings. Play these kinds of hands so you can get their chips before they go to someone better.

I play big hands pretty straightforward-- I can't tell you how many times I've gotten it all in PF with KK or AA because some donk was willing to push my reraise with a small-mid PP.

danger_mouse
06-10-2005, 07:19 PM
I play the same level multi's as you and have had good success with early round play. Generally, yes, the early rounds of these tournaments have more than their share of people that are willing to gamble. Solid aggressive poker is the name of the game against these folks. Situations that are usually small edges are much more profitable because these donks will call with all sorts of junk.

On the flip side, it is much harder to bluff and profitably continuation bet. My suggestion is play solid. Sure limp in with some speculative hands when pot odds warrant, but mostly play good hands and play them even stronger for value. Top pair (good kicker, not even best) gets paid off very well here.