PDA

View Full Version : itm at PP 15+1... thoughts on this push.

wiggs73
06-10-2005, 12:39 PM
don't have the HH, but it's a pretty simple hand anyway... first the setup:

PP 15+1, 1330 entrants. top 140 payed and we are down to 51. average stack at this point is about 26,000 and i have 16,000. blinds are 1000-2000. i have recently gotten moved to a new table, so i don't have any reads on the players. now onto the hand...

I'm on the button and look at AQo. UTG folds, UTG+1 min-raises to 4000. min-raise has been the standard at most tables i've been at since blinds were about 400-800. it folds around to me and i push.

discuss.

schwza
06-10-2005, 12:41 PM
looks good.

AlcateL
06-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Seems fine to me, I don't see you folding this if min-raise with this guy doesn't mean a monster.

mlagoo
06-10-2005, 12:43 PM
what were the stacks on SB/BB?

Regardless, I think I like it. You've only got 8xBB, you can be fairly sure you'll be heads up here, and his minraise hasn't shown any extraordinary amount of strength, as, as you said, it's been fairly standard. AQo isn't the ideal hand to put all your chips in on, but you've still got a bit of fold equity (if he was getting cute with JTs or something), and have a few hands that a donk may call with (KQ, AJ) dominated. I'm assuming you ran into AK or better, which is a tough break, but I am pretty much ok with the push here.

Rduke55
06-10-2005, 12:43 PM
I like it. You may take the pot here depending on the raiser's stack.
Kind of creepy since early position did this but yuo gotta get chips somehow and this looks like a good place to try.

wiggs73
06-10-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what were the stacks on SB/BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had SB and BB covered and UTG+1 had me slightly covered.

wiggs73
06-10-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming you ran into AK or better, which is a tough break, but I am pretty much ok with the push here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, I ran into KK here and was out in 51st.

The reason I asked this question about a hand that I feel to be more-or-less standard is because the other night at pokerroom.com, I was in a *very* similar situation, only I had a read on the aggressor, which was that he was tight and solid and didn't make moves unless he had position. I had been at the table for a while and seen him come in with one hand from early position and he did so with a raise. He had QQ in that instance. He never limped in early or middle positions. Again, I was on the button with AQ and he raised and I pushed. He flipped over AA this time and I was out on the bubble.

In thinking about that particular hand, I learned a very important lesson. When you're about to potentially risk all your chips with a push or a call, think about what hands the villian would have made his move with that you can beat. Here, given my read, I should have put him on JJ-AA, AK, AQ, and maybe TT or 99. So that is 5 hands that I'm behind, 1 that I'm tied with, and 2 that I'm only a slight favorite over. I have almost a 0% chance of being way ahead over something like AJ or AT or a bluff.

Without a read here, I think the push is OK. I wanted to see if others would have put the villain on a similar range without a read. FWIW, without any read, I would have to put the villain on a range of ATs+, AQo+, KQs, 99-AA. That could be a bit too broad, but I don't think so in a 15+1. Either way, there are only 4 hands that I'm truly scared to get called by here and I think the potential reward was worth the risk.