PDA

View Full Version : 2/5 Taj, nut straight turns into a non-nut flush

dtbog
06-10-2005, 12:09 PM
A friend is the Hero in this hand -- do you dump this on the river? Comments on other streets appreciated but he wants to focus on the river, I think.

Setting: This is Hero's second orbit at the table, so he has $500 in front of him. Basically everyone has him covered -- everyone in this hand does.

Hero is BB with J /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

6 limpers, Hero makes it $15, all call.

Flop ($105): 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif (gin!)

Hero leads for $25, 4 calls.

Turn ($230): K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero leads for $40, two calls.

River ($350): J /images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero leads for $150, one call, Villain pushes ($270 more to Hero).

I told him that his flop/turn play led to this situation on the river -- but given that you did get there, can you lay this down?

I maintain that you can put Villain on the A-high flush without too much difficulty -- he's not trying to bluff two players, and he's not raising for value with a straight or a set... the K, Q, J, T, and 8 of spades are out. He's also not value-pushing a flush lower than that.

Comments?

-dB

xorbie
06-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Hero should bet $100 on the flop and take it from there.

flawless_victory
06-10-2005, 12:22 PM
those tiny bets are retarded. river is a very easy call.

thabadguy
06-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Why the weak flop and turn bets?
I think the flop is a very good place to overbet, as ur the preflop raiser from the BB, and JT is not the first hand that comes to mind, also an overbet on this flop shows more weakness than strength IMO, it basically says..fold..i dont want too much action...

flawless_victory
06-10-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why the weak flop and turn bets?
I think the flop is a very good place to overbet, as ur the preflop raiser from the BB, and JT is not the first hand that comes to mind, also an overbet on this flop shows more weakness than strength IMO, it basically says..fold..i dont want too much action...

[/ QUOTE ]i agree with this and i think moving allin would actually be a pretty good play here. fun too...

dtbog
06-10-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
those tiny bets are retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... I didn't play the hand but that's what I told Hero.

[ QUOTE ]
river is a very easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does he make this push with that's not the ace high flush? With one caller of $150 in between?

If it's an easy call for odds, then I'll buy it -- but what % of the time do you think you're actually ahead?

-dB

flawless_victory
06-10-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
those tiny bets are retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... I didn't play the hand but that's what I told Hero.

[ QUOTE ]
river is a very easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does he make this push with that's not the ace high flush? With one caller of $150 in between?

If it's an easy call for odds, then I'll buy it -- but what % of the time do you think you're actually ahead?

-dB

[/ QUOTE ]i misread that someone had already called, and now it looks like he MUST have the nuts, so i think folding is alright... but getting ~4:1 i still think the payoff is ok.