PDA

View Full Version : Hand with a poster who open raises.

brettbrettr
06-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Ok, bear in mind that:

1. This is 6 handed (if you send me to the HUSH forums I'm smack you---this is a full ring crowd, just lost a few, there's a difference)
2. This guy posted and his raising standards here--even though I don't know [censored] about him---should be very, very minimal.

Anyhoo, I hated the way I played this river. After the flpo I told myself if the turn and river bricked out I'm calling this down. I didn't like the turn card much even though it gave me el gutshot. But I wasn't sure about my river play and I thought at the time that it wasn't wise. After all this though, and the fact that the poster was a complete unknown, I had to look him up on the river and I expected to lose.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

damaniac
06-10-2005, 12:00 PM
I like it all but the river bet is iffy. Rivering an overcard is always a tricky proposition, I usually just call or check/call. I'd like betting better if I could fold to a raise. Being against an unknown, that isn't happening.

damaniac
06-10-2005, 12:02 PM
BTW, Brett (and others), what hands are you open-raising when you post (in the CO, say)? I can't decide whether I should be raising any 2, or just anything remotely playable.

ihardlyknowher
06-10-2005, 12:03 PM
I think I muck the turn. You need to be about 75% confident that an Ace gives you the best hand here to justify the call.

brettbrettr
06-10-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, Brett (and others), what hands are you open-raising when you post (in the CO, say)? I can't decide whether I should be raising any 2, or just anything remotely playable.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I know the guy to be tight, reasonable, I pretty much open-raise any 2 aside from all but the most awful holdings. And even then sometimes.

Against unknown blinds, I'm raising anything playable, anything I'd normally try to steal with. So, any ace, most kings, suited connectors 45 and up, offsuit connectors 67 and up, any pair, any 2 broadways.

private joker
06-10-2005, 01:41 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
I think I muck the turn. You need to be about 75% confident that an Ace gives you the best hand here to justify the call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero has a gutshot to the nut straight. But even then, I think the turn call is a bit loose. The A outs are very dirty, as it appears he has something like AJ or AQ, so the only clean outs are the 4 Ks. I'd discount your 7 outs to about 5, and that's not enough, even with implied odds, to call the turn I don't think.

(Of course, if this is what you mean by 75% confident the A gives you the best hand, then I agree with your post).