PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on PTY PLO8 $25 - A2XX, and Playing for 1/2

flair1239
06-10-2005, 11:54 AM
I have been thinking alot about this type of hand out of position and wanted to run some thoughts by you guys.

I think a naked A2 hand probably plays better in limit, where quartering is not as severe of an issue.

I have been playing A2 from anywhere, with the thought that, it should be marginally profitable (and it may be, I was going to dig into PT after a couple thousand more hands).

But it seems to me that this hand drags me into many marginal situations, that seem to result in either winning a small amount or losing a fair amount.

As I acquire more experience some things that people have said, that previously I had dismissed as too tight, now start to make more sense. It really is not worth it to play for half the pot. Perhaps in limit it might be slightly better? But in PLO8 the price of getting quartered is pretty high, also again due to the high rake on this game (again even when a high hand has no shot at the low they will frequently raise) your HU split situations often result in minimal profit. On his Website Steve Badger states "PLO8 is about homeruns, there are very few doubles." ; the more I play the more I agree with this statement.

Anyway sorry for the ramble. Just thinking a lot about this game and wanted to talk through a couple things.

Wintermute
06-10-2005, 12:09 PM
IMO, Steve Badger's advice is overrated. I get the feeling he (and other pros who typically begin their discussion of PLO8 by describing it as a "dead" game) gears his advice towards a game full of thoughtful, strong players. As a results, people who read his advice have an unhealthy paranoia of getting quartered... and frequently underestimate their chances at being the 3/4-er.

With A2xx, you always have a shot at the high no matter what your other two cards are. Frequently, all you need to 3/4 someone is nut low + any pair. For example, A28Q rainbow on a board with 358JQ even with of a suit on the board is going to 3/4 a lot of the time heads up, because if you play the flop correctly you will often eliminate everyone but an A2 with no pair at all (or smaller-than-nut-flushes will fold because of all the action between A2's). In situations where you are worried about getting quartered, wait until after flop. When you flop nut low with no pair and no draw, that's a time to be wary. But I play any A2 from any position, with success.

JoshuaMayes
06-10-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO, Steve Badger's advice is overrated. I get the feeling he (and other pros who typically begin their discussion of PLO8 by describing it as a "dead" game) gears his advice towards a game full of thoughtful, strong players. As a results, people who read his advice have an unhealthy paranoia of getting quartered... and frequently underestimate their chances at being the 3/4-er.

With A2xx, you always have a shot at the high no matter what your other two cards are. Frequently, all you need to 3/4 someone is nut low + any pair. For example, A28Q rainbow on a board with 358JQ even with of a suit on the board is going to 3/4 a lot of the time heads up, because if you play the flop correctly you will often eliminate everyone but an A2 with no pair at all (or smaller-than-nut-flushes will fold because of all the action between A2's). In situations where you are worried about getting quartered, wait until after flop. When you flop nut low with no pair and no draw, that's a time to be wary. But I play any A2 from any position, with success.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree entirely with this post. I, too, play A2 from any position, and with much success.