PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Hand, Comments please.

iraise50
06-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Hi all, thanks in advance for any comment. So, yesterday my great-grandmother of nearly 95 had a stroke while driving and died. I was really bummed out as we were close and playing TERRIBLE poker. I dind't sleep all night and when I decided I felt like playing some more poker, I decide to single table it only and to concentrate more. I'm in a $5.50 sit-n-go at 8am. Not slept in nearly 48 hours.

This is hand 28, one player eliminated.

MP1 is at seat 0 with 1090.
MP2 is at seat 1 with 1250.
MP3 is at seat 2 with 1650.
Our Hero is at seat 3 with 1705.
Button is at seat 4 with 1815.
SB is at seat 5 with 1190.
BB is at seat 6 with 3530.
UTG is at seat 7 with 925.
Villain is at seat 9 with 1845.

Our Hero Has: 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB posts the small blind of 15.
BB posts the big blind of 30.

Pre-flop:

Villian calls. Everyone folds to Hero.
Hero calls. (wonder if I will hear anything for that?
SB calls. BB checks.

Flop (board: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif):

SB checks. BB checks. Villain bets 30. Our Hero calls. SB and BB both fold.

Turn (A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif):

Villain 30. Hero raises to 270. Villain re-raises to 990. Hero calls.

River (9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif):

Villain goes all-in for 795. Our Hero goes all-in for 655. Villain is returned 140 (uncalled).

Tournament all-in showdown -- players show:

Our Hero shows 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Villain shows A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif.

Showdown:

Our Hero has 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif : four nines.
Villain has A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif : full house, aces full of queens

Ok...so when you flop a Boat, you gotta feel you're strong, right? I'm sure I'm going to get yelled at for the flop bet, but I'm trying to make more money in later streets. On the turn, I never even considered AA, I considered but dismissed AQ. The only reads I had on our villain was he liked Ax suited an awful lot. Only played a few hands with him. I seriously thoguht he was proud as hell of his two pair. So as it turned out...he had 4 outs to make a better fullhouse, which he catches on the turn. Then I river a 4th 9. I don't even quote Men The Master "All you can eat, baaaby" as my usual (to myself) suckout mantra. He takes it well, I'm in shock. How would you have played it differently? I liked the hand a lot, not because I happened to win, but becasue it was manic-depressive rollercoaster, we both play PP cute preflop, then my boat to hsi two pair, then his boat over my boat, then my quads over his boat.

I'm sure I get ripped for several streets here, but I plead fatigue and trying to be deceptive. Feedback GREATLY appreciated. First hand post. PS I would have made the results in white, but that didn't seem to be working, and I know that will skew people's impressions since they can see what I had and was agaisnt from the outset.

kyro
06-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Personally I think you played it fine. There could be arguments for pushing the turn, but I don't know if it makes that much of a difference as long as you're pushing a checked river.

iraise50
06-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Anyone else have anything?

Freudian
06-10-2005, 10:18 PM
I don't see what is hard about this hand. You have a full house and an opponent that wants to play. If all the chips are going in the middle you play it fine.

bluefeet
06-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Ps. PF limp is fine

(sorry about your grandmother)

iraise50
06-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Thank you Bluefeet.

I put this hand in there becaue I think it is interesting, but it also illustrates what I tnihk my biggest problem is in NLHE, especially in dealing with sngs.

When I make a big hand, I don't think I often get maximum value for it, and I never seem to realize that someone has a bigger hand. So what I want to know is how to extract maximum value, and if anyone else goes from being reasonably sure that they are way ahead on the flop (Q9 or QQ being ahead) to realizing the jib is up with that ace on the turn. I know you can't assume they have the two perfect cards that will get you...but often when I make a big enough hand I push it and don't get anymore money, or else fall into a trap to a bigger hand, or I just don't get the chips I want. As I posted in the OP, we were down to 9 left, and doubling through would have put me in really good shape. Assuming he has something like QK, is there any way to get more money out of from the flop?

Unoriginalname
06-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Looks like you played it fine. When you flop a monster hand like that, I think it's okay to assume that you have the hand won and just focus on what would get the most money out of the opponents. Sometimes, you just simply won't be able to get a lot of money out of someone and there's nothing you can do about it.

You have my sympathies for the loss of your grandmother.