PDA

View Full Version : Guide or Book for Shorthanded Play

chipstacks
06-10-2005, 09:18 AM
I recently got into sit-n-go one table games. I'm doing fairly well, in 27 games I've finished in the money 16 times.

I want to improve my game though, because out of those 16 money finishes I only have 4 first places. Is their any guide online or maybe a well known book that teaches shorthanded play? I know there are a lot concepts that can be exploited, I'd like to know if the tactics im using are correct.

thx

johnnybeef
06-10-2005, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I recently got into sit-n-go one table games. I'm doing fairly well, in 27 games I've finished in the money 16 times.

I want to improve my game though, because out of those 16 money finishes I only have 4 first places. Is their any guide online or maybe a well known book that teaches shorthanded play? I know there are a lot concepts that can be exploited, I'd like to know if the tactics im using are correct.

thx

[/ QUOTE ]

HOH2 has a chapter dedicated to heads up play....im licking my chops, this one is going to be a goldmine.

gumpzilla
06-10-2005, 09:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is doing extremely well, but it's not going to last. ~60% ITM, even at a deeper stack game, doesn't seem likely to be sustainable.

[ QUOTE ]
I want to improve my game though, because out of those 16 money finishes I only have 4 first places. Is their any guide online or maybe a well known book that teaches shorthanded play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep reading here. An awful lot depends on how deep the stacks are when you get in the money. If you're playing at Party, you're probably in push/fold territory when you get here 99% of the time. (The standard cutoff for when you should be pushing if you want to play, as a rule of thumb, is when your stack or the stacks of those still to act are less than 10 BBs. Having some kind of guideline like this is a good idea.) Many opponents are rather tight and not as aggressive as they should be given the huge blinds here. Against such opponents, you can do well pushing as first to act PF very often. Against opponents who are doing this to you, be prepared to call with hands that probably look pretty crappy to your eye.

I don't have specific threads for you to look at on this subject, but people discuss in-the-money hands pretty frequently, and I think others will have a few favorites they will mention.

pergesu
06-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Get SNGPT (http://www.sitngo-analyzer.com/). I think if you're a beginner to SNGs, it will have the single biggest impact to your game. Download the demo, go through Blindstealing 101 to learn bubble/itm aggression. Then you should buy a license so you can analyze some of your own tourneys.

I may have eventually learned the concepts elsewhere, but I can definitely assure the success I've had up to this point to SNGPT.

willbb99
06-10-2005, 09:47 AM
I just finished reading Volume 1 of "Harrington on Hold Em" and thought it was an excellent book with lots of good strategy. Volume 2 deals more with the end of tournaments so I would check it out.

chipstacks
06-10-2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the info so far. I probably should of mentioned that I'm playing fixed limit low buy in games ($10-$20), probably not the best competition, but usually only 1-2 morons per table.

My flaw is that when it gets down to 3 people(all money spots) and I'm the big stack I tend to lose it. I play really cautious but then when I get a good hand I won't throw it away to aggression because I think the lower stack is trying to scare me out. Oftentimes I end up the low stack after these hands.

The complete opposite is true when I'm the low stack, I feel like I have nothing to lose, make the big stacks fold alot, or just in general get the best hands. All my 1st places came when I was the low stack going into 3-way play. Strange...