PDA

View Full Version : a question

haimarg
06-10-2005, 08:57 AM
ok well im pretty much new to hold 'em (and to internet gambling for that matter), and i was thinking..
the way i play is fold pretty much everything except alittle limp here and there when BB/SB, except cards like AK, AQ, AA-JJ and things like that.

but when i get the AK or AQ and raise the preflop, i ALWAYS get called (maybe its because im playing microbet 0.1/0.2) so i get screwed in the flop with silly little cards and eventually find myself losing to a pair of 7

do i need to play more aggressivly after the flop? re-raise 3 times? am i doing everything right? should i not let the limpers see the flop? should i limp more? opinions please ...

chaz64
06-10-2005, 09:02 AM
May I ask if you have read any poker books?

haimarg
06-10-2005, 09:04 AM
i started playing a week ago after reading the FAQ and a friend showed me the basic moves..
i intend to make alot of reading once i get a basic idea of what is generally "going on"

chaz64
06-10-2005, 09:15 AM
I don't know if anyone can give you a "in a nutshell" response to your questions. You might want to read Jones' WLLH or Miller's GSIH.

haimarg
06-10-2005, 09:17 AM
could you try answering in general? :P

should i not play until i read those books?

phlup
06-10-2005, 09:19 AM
You're not going to be able to get your questions fully answered here. You are going to have to read some books. While many people will beat me over the head for saying this, go pick up Winning Low-Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones. It's a quick and easy read and will give you lots of the basics.

You've already got a very good idea of being tight during preflop play, but you need to start to understand why you should play the way you do and why it will pay off down the road.

And yes, you will get called by 70% of the players at the nano limit tables. That's just life. But you can't lower your standards or you will be a losing player. Sure you'll get lucky every now and again when the flop comes 772 and you called with 72o, but in the long term you'll be a losing player.

So do yourself a favor and go get a book or two and start reading. Then when you understand more of the game, especially post flop play, go back to the tables and apply what you've learned.

haimarg
06-10-2005, 09:29 AM
i guess i understand the basics and rasing the preflop is a good idea with cards like that because the times you win statiscly will pay for all the times you folded

i guess my question is how much do i raise the preflop?
(am i going to get flamed for asking another preflop questions? /images/graemlins/grin.gif ) or not play until i can postflop

phlup
06-10-2005, 09:49 AM
Preflop play is easy compared to post flop. I understand the desire to get right out there and play, but if you take the time (and I'm serious about Jones' WLLH it's takes probably and hour or two tops), you'll have a better grasp on the play of the whole hand.

The reason people won't really answer your specific question regarding what you should do preflop is because the answer is "it depends". We could sit here all day and run through hands saying "hit the raise button till the mouse breaks" but that will do you no good when you completely miss the flop and get bet into. Then what?

I guess my point is this: there are four rounds of betting per hand and only one comes preflop. While it's important to start playing with the best hands, 3/4 of your game will be played after the flop and you need to know how to play there before you can expect to win any money.

steelcmg
06-10-2005, 09:51 AM
I think u might want to goto the beginners threads and start seaching for stuff there all of ur preflop things have been answered there plus some.

chaz64
06-10-2005, 10:27 AM
You should understand that playing overcards is not easy. You have to consider your position, number of opponents, did anyone re-raise PF, flop texture, do you have other ways to win (gutshot, BDFD), etc.

SSH has a great section on this.

jrz1972
06-10-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
should i not play until i read those books?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would never have occurred to me to play poker for money without having already learned the basics of the game. Reading a FAQ and learning a few "moves" from a buddy doesn't count as "learning the basics."

Wetdog
06-10-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i guess i understand the basics and rasing the preflop is a good idea with cards like that because the times you win statiscly will pay for all the times you folded

(am i going to get flamed for asking another preflop questions? /images/graemlins/grin.gif ) or not play until i can postflop

[/ QUOTE ]

There is an amazing (to me) lack of flaming here, so don't sweat that.

The suggestion to read (an re-read, and re-re-read) some books is the best answer. There has been much discussion here about the best books for a starting player. I haven't read Getting Started in Holdem "GSIH" but, knowing the author, I would recommend that. Next would be Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big with Expert Play "SSHE". Also get Theory of Poker "ToP". These are all must-read to anyone in this forum.

Jakesta
06-10-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys, I think our friend is talking about No Limit cash games. Especially because he's asking about how much to raise preflop. Perhaps someone should direct him to the Small Stakes No Limit forum, and stop telling him to read limit hold em books?

OrangeKing
06-10-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys, I think our friend is talking about No Limit cash games. Especially because he's asking about how much to raise preflop. Perhaps someone should direct him to the Small Stakes No Limit forum, and stop telling him to read limit hold em books?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Getting Started in Hold 'em would be a good idea, as it has sections on NL from what I understand.

Wetdog
06-10-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
do i need to play more aggressivly after the flop? re-raise 3 times? am i doing everything right? should i not let the limpers see the flop? should i limp more? opinions please ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he's referring to NL, but either way he can't go wrong with thew recommended books. They made me a better NL player.