PDA

View Full Version : live 2/5 hand

sirtimo
06-10-2005, 08:37 AM
This hand happened to my brother a few days ago. We got into a good discussion about the ways to play it.

Live $2/$5 NL - max $300 buy in

You buy in for $300, play solid for an hour or so and are at about $330. The table is average with the standard raise being about $15. Nobody is donking it up with 84s or J2o etc. Villain has about $400 and seems very tight.

In the SB you get 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif,couple of limpers, Villain raises to $15, you call. Pot is $45.

Flop is 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif. You bet $20, Villain raises to $60

What range do you put Villain on and what's your plan?

EDIT- Villain was in LP- 10 handed

Vavavoom
06-10-2005, 08:45 AM
I re-raise...U need to establish whether its an overpair or flush draw....

Need to know position....I assume MP/LP for villain...

I would play in that position...with that sort raise.....

QQ-77
AQs-ATs
KQs, QJs,
Maybe something funky to mix it up.....a 1-gapper T8/97/J9 suited or unsuited.....From late position in a tight game with standard raising...

I feel that u have to re-raise to $120...for a pot bet

If he pushes and has 88 so be it....

I'm guessing he was on an overpair or something ridiculous like 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the monster draw...

sirtimo
06-10-2005, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I re-raise...U need to establish whether its an overpair or flush draw....

I feel that u have to re-raise to $120...for a pot bet

[/ QUOTE ]

The re-raise is an option, but the stacks aren't deep enough to make it work if you raise to $120. We have $45 on the flop, + $20 bet, + $60 raise so it's $125 pot with $40 to call. If you re-raise to $120 the pot is $245 with Villain only having $60 to call (4-1) which prices him right into calling with if he has a flush draw. That leaves you with a $305 pot, you have about $190 left.

JeffM
06-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Call and lead a non diamond turn. This also gives him a chance to hit one of his over cards. If he has two overs and a flush draw he's, correctly, gonna call a re-raise anyway so you might as well see the next card. If he has an overpair he has two outs and you're not giving him an easy chance to get away from it. If you just call and then lead the turn he will raise you again (if he still has an overpair to the board) and then you can push. I think this is the most deceptive line and it prices him in nicely.

Murderous
06-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Check-raise the flop.

If all the chips end up in the pot and he flips 88, so be it! You are ahead of so many other likely hands here.

Lead the turn with a pot sized bet if a diamond doesn't fall - half-pot otherwise.

If his hand is made on the turn, yours will be easier to get away from as he will most certainly push at this point.

If your hand improves on the turn and your flop CR was for the minimum, you might consider a second check-raise, but obviously this is read specific.

Because you stated that the average pre-flop raise was ~15 I am inclined to put him on suited overs or an overpair (QQ or JJ).

sirtimo
06-10-2005, 11:47 AM
My brother's read was that the guy was squarely on AA or KK, which seemed to match up with his betting and general tightness. My first thought was the flush draw was the most dangerous. (Of course, I'm not there to see the guy)

My brother re-raised the guy all in. His reasoning was that he was ahead of all hands but 88 (very unlikely) and the guy would call with his AA or KK and be drawing to 2 outs.

My line was to flat call the raise and lead any non-diamond turn. It hides the strength of my hand. If the guy wants to take charge of the hand, fine, let him. Alot of players would not call a push or pot sized bet on the turn drawing only 1 card for their flush. If an A of K comes out and the Villain's read is that he just hit a set I might be able to get away from the hand.

I think that the most EV+ is pushing but me, personally, I like the chance to get away from a hand that sours on me w/o getting stacked, especially if I feel I can read the guy.

RESULTS- <font color="white"> Villain called the push with Ad Td and flushed on the turn </font>