PDA

View Full Version : Summer before law school, what should I be doing?

squeek12
06-10-2005, 07:35 AM
Yeah, so I start law school in August. I have never really had to study much at all, even through college. I know this is going to change in law school. Any law school advice in general and more specifically what I could be doing this summer to help prepare?

This is a long shot, but any Louisiana law school grads out there? And if so, is it possible to study Civil law and still practice outside of LA later if necessary?

BigD226
06-10-2005, 07:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, so I start law school in August. I have never really had to study much at all, even through college. I know this is going to change in law school. Any law school advice in general and more specifically what I could be doing this summer to help prepare?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...drink, smoke, go to the beach, and get laid. Seriously, just relax, enjoy your summer and have fun.

Believe me, there will be PLENTY of work and headaches waiting for you in August.

Trying to "prepare" for your first year subjects is a waste of time. Not only will you burn out sooner when you actually start school, it probably won't do you much good because you'll just be re-learning everything, and each of your professors is going to be teaching each subject in a certain way (emphasizing certain topics while disregarding others, etc.) that you can't possibly know about until you actually take the class.

The only thing I would suggest looking into in advance is how to write a good law school exam. Check out a book called "Getting to Maybe" (I forgot who the author is). But I wouldn't even read this until the very end of summer, and then refer back to it in November when you start getting ready for exams.