PDA

View Full Version : T9o in BB - raised pot preflop

milesdyson
06-10-2005, 06:14 AM
Very first hand of session (a while ago, however). Just browsing hands and thought this was interesting and contained some [perhaps] debatable decisions.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP (poster) raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises ...</font>

mmbt0ne
06-10-2005, 06:24 AM
I'm all for it. I've been known to check-raise that flop before too, but I wouldn't do it on my first hand unless I knew the players already.

milesdyson
06-10-2005, 06:31 AM
In a blind defense situation I'm check raising this flop a lot. When button calls the flop bet check raising loses it's appeal. If button folds, I very well might raise here. That is kind of the intrigue to this whole hand - that several decisions are completely based on what happens after I check. For example, say MP bets the turn and button calls again - the check raise has a very different dynamic.

mmbt0ne
06-10-2005, 06:40 AM
I agree. MP gave up on the turn, so I'm guessing he has overs, probably without a gutshot. Button's bet means a lot less now, because he could be betting any pair on the board, thinking it's for value, or even just taking a stab at the pot last to act.

Assuming MP calls, are you checking any river cards? I tried to convince myself to check a river A, but I think he's going to have KQ or KJ or something like that often enough that you have to bet any river because you would hate for button to check through. He raised as a poster, so theoretically he should be raising with weaker hands than usual.

Quercus
06-10-2005, 10:20 AM
I like it.

Entity
06-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Perfect.

milesdyson
06-10-2005, 01:16 PM
I am betting any river card given that MP calls.

If I check, he will check through with missed overcards and button very well might not bet whatever he bet on the turn. Now if he hits the overcard, he will bet and I will only be calling bets when behind.