PDA

View Full Version : Cold Calling

Silverback
06-10-2005, 05:15 AM
If UTG raises and MP cold calls,

If im in CO or button is it ok to cold call some hands?

Which hands do you think would be ok and how would you vary depending on the raisers pfr%?

Dov
06-10-2005, 05:17 AM
No.

I want the button.

spydog
06-10-2005, 05:25 AM
I think you can coldcall with 22-77 here. I probably 3-bet 88+ against a loose raiser and coldcall 88-99 against someone who's tighter (less than <10%). If the blinds will call anything then I think suited broadways can be cold-called, as well.

kiddo
06-10-2005, 06:54 AM
Against decent players I wouldnt coldcall small pairs 3rd in. But if they were bad or if players behind often coldcalls I would do it.

And why not add JTs, QJs and KQs. Of them I prefer KQs, JTs and QJs last. Maybe this is wrong but I have a feeling I am more often alone with my pair if I come in with JTs, Im dominated less often. KQs I would almos always coldcall, the others are more playerdepenent.

If the raiser is really loose or really bad and other coldcaller also is loose and bad - so that I dont have to fear domination - I am coldcalling with more hands: AT, KJo, KQo, KTs, any pair, except 88 and up which would be 3bet.

IGMorton
06-10-2005, 10:46 AM
what is the strategical purpose of a cold call? there are 2 questions i ask myself when thinking about cold calling:

1. Does my hand have much pot equity? if i had a really strong hand TT + or KQs + i obviously raise for value. So hands that i'm considering cold calling must have borderline pot equity.

2. Do i want other people to fold? with medium high card strength hands KJs I re-raise to get dominating hands to fold.

So, the few hands that i'm cold calling with have slightly above average pot equity and prefer many opponents.

If only 2 are in the pot, i'm cold calling with QJs, QTs a lot since they can each make 3 straights or a strong flush but hold up well enough against 2 players when a queen flops.

If 3 are in a raised pot, i'm not getting them to fold easily. so, now it will likely take better than top pair to win the hand. i'm frequently cold calling with suited cards with better straight potential QJs, QTs, JTs, T9s, 98s and 88-22 for trips value.

7ontheline
06-10-2005, 11:08 AM
It also depends on the blinds. If they are loose but not aggressive, you can probably stretch your coldcalling range a touch. I typically call smaller PPs (22-77). I don't really like suited connectors here - I don't think they hold up when they pair, so you have to pick up a draw on the flop. I'll play smaller pairs and look for sets, mostly. If the players coming in ahead of me are very tight, maybe not though since my implied odds aren't as good. If they are aggressive, then I expect to make back my money if I hit my set.

Silverback
06-10-2005, 11:27 AM
In HPFAP it says its best to just call a raise with hands like AJs and KQs, even against a loose raiser.

I would never have thought cold calling with low pocket pairs would have been profitable after a raiser and a cold caller, but you say aggressive games so I guess thats makes more sense to the possibility,
I take it you only play the flop if you hit?

MAxx
06-10-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would never have thought cold calling with low pocket pairs would have been profitable after a raiser and a cold caller, but you say aggressive games so I guess thats makes more sense to the possibility,
I take it you only play the flop if you hit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really depends on your read of the people acting after you.

If they are all tight pf... Id fold. If they are all pretty loose..... I will cc and try and hit a home run with a set. Looking for 5-1 here.

StellarWind
06-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Don't forget the coldcaller's postflop play. If he's aggressive he's apt to start a war on the flop. Good if you flopped a set, bad if you flopped a typical draw.

Grisgra
06-10-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2. Do i want other people to fold? with medium high card strength hands KJs I re-raise to get dominating hands to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

The chance that you get AJ or KQ to fold for 3bets on the button, or for 2.5/2 bets in the SB/BB is minimal at best. Sure, most 2+2'ers will fold them, but hardly anyone else.

IGMorton
06-10-2005, 05:50 PM
so, is raising bad? or should i just do it anyway since at least my stronger opponents will fold?

currently i'm 3-betting with AQs-ATs, KQs-KJs, AKo-AJo, KQo.

am i too agressive? should i be calling with some of these hands?

deception5
06-10-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
currently i'm 3-betting with AQs-ATs, KQs-KJs, AKo-AJo, KQo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a tight UTG raise with a cold caller in the middle I think I would stick to AQs-AJs, KQs, AK-AQ myself. If he and the caller were loose then I would 3-bet with a similar range as you, probably folding KQo if they were somewhere in the middle.

IGMorton
06-10-2005, 07:09 PM
So, against that tight UTG raiser and 1 cold caller, do you fold or call hands like

ATs, KJs
QJs, QTs
AJo, KQo
99, 88, 77, 66, 55