PDA

View Full Version : TURN CHECK RAISE SEMI BLUFF

Malachii
06-10-2005, 04:50 AM
3/6 Hold'em at Commerce. Villain is a pretty good player.

Hero is in the BB with 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG limps, Villain (MP1 limps), MP2 limps, CO limps, SB calls, Hero checks.

Sometimes I raise, sometimes I limp with 99. This time I decided to limp because I don't want to play a large pot (where I would feel compelled to see a showdown) out of position.

(6 SB) Flop comes Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Not really the flop I was looking for. Still, I have a pair and an open ended straight draw (albeit the bottom end.) Anyone fold this on the flop?

SB checks, Villain bets, MP2 folds, CO calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn is the 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (5 BB)
I check, SB checks, Villain bets, CO folds, Hero checkraises...

Thoughts/comments? Who likes it, and who dislikes it?

mantasm
06-10-2005, 05:07 AM
I can't think of a better hand that will fold. And I doubt he's bluffing into 5 players on the flop and 2 on the turn. I can see calling the flop but you can probably go ahead and fold the turn. No reason to throw 2 more bb in.

reuasnibor
06-10-2005, 05:24 AM
I raise this preflop because you get the right odds to flop a set after 5 limpers.
The flop is pretty close, you have 10 outs to a straight or trips that would make the flopcall right. But if the turn is a king you may run into a higher straight,its pretty lilely someone has an Ace out there and if the turn is a 9 its pretty likely that someone runs into a straight. So you only got 4outs thats clean, the 8īs, so I think this is a fold on the flop.

Why did you checkraise that turn?

Malachii
06-10-2005, 07:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I raise this preflop because you get the right odds to flop a set after 5 limpers.

[/ QUOTE ] I don't see how that's an argument for raising the flop, but I digress.

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you checkraise that turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
A number of reasons.

1.) Villain is a good player who I judged capable of folding. I thought that checkraising when the board paired, combined with betting the river, might get him to lay down a queen. The idea is basically to sell him on the idea that I have a ten.

2.) Forcing the SB to call two cold. Protects my vulnerable king outs in case he's chasing with an ace (which is possible, he's basically a donk.)

3.) Good for my table image to bluff occasionally and be caught doing it if he does in fact call.

Malachii
06-10-2005, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt he's bluffing into 5 players on the flop and 2 on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I doubt he's bluffing also.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't think of a better hand that will fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
You might be right. Most players will make the crying call. Still, I think checkraising when the board pairs puts a queen to a tough decision. And this is a good player, who I thought would be capable of folding a queen unimproved on the river.

[ QUOTE ]
I can see calling the flop but you can probably go ahead and fold the turn

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about that one. I'm getting 6-1 with at least 6 clean outs (the eights and the two remaining nines.) The kings can probably be valued as 2 outs, so I only need 4.75-1 to make this call (I think.) Plus, checkraising cleans up the kings if the SB is chasing a gutshot with the ace.

PS: Thanks for the comments.