PDA

View Full Version : WSOP Cash Game - What is this?

Etric
06-10-2005, 03:49 AM
Yesterday late night at the WSOP I saw a few people playing a game I was not familiar with. They each got like 10 or so cards and arranged them into a 3 card hand, a 5 card hand and another 3 card hand. Then someone opened their hands and another person opened their hands and an exchange of money took place. This was a high stakes (black chip) game. What is this game?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

dibbs
06-10-2005, 03:52 AM
Kinda sounds like Chinese poker but I could be way off. Look up the rules for that game and see if it sounds about right.

randomstumbl
06-10-2005, 05:02 AM
This sounds like Chinese poker. Each person gets 13 cards and makes two five card hands and a three card hand.

Stefanie
06-10-2005, 06:22 AM
Yep, Chinese poker. From what I hear, the high stakes cash game pros play it a lot.

Iceman
06-10-2005, 08:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yesterday late night at the WSOP I saw a few people playing a game I was not familiar with. They each got like 10 or so cards and arranged them into a 3 card hand, a 5 card hand and another 3 card hand. Then someone opened their hands and another person opened their hands and an exchange of money took place. This was a high stakes (black chip) game. What is this game?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Four players. Deal each player 13 cards face down. You divide your cards into three hands: 5-card, 5-card, and 3-card, in descending order of strength. Straights and flushes don't count in the 3-card hand, so the only possibilities in that hand are trips, pair, or nothing. Then you compare your three hands to each other player's three hands - if you win all three hands against a player, he pays you 3x the bet, and if you win two out of three, he pays you 1x the bet. There are a lot of variations, but this is the basic game.

Example:

Player A: Full house/straight/AA
Player B: Flush/trips/KK
Stake: $100.

Full house beats a flush.
Straight beats trips.
AA beats KK.

Player B has to pay player A $300.

Luv2DriveTT
06-10-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yep, Chinese poker. From what I hear, the high stakes cash game pros play it a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some non-high stakes pros play it as well. Like me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

fnord_too
06-10-2005, 10:00 AM
There is one book on the subject. Don Smolen (sp?) has about a 40 page book and software program for the game for like $60. The man, if not the book, got a thumbs up from Sklansky (I don't think he has read the book, but he said Smolen was a very good player). I have both, they are worth picking up if you are going to play for any real money.

Luv2DriveTT
06-10-2005, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is one book on the subject. Don Smolen (sp?) has about a 40 page book and software program for the game for like $60. The man, if not the book, got a thumbs up from Sklansky (I don't think he has read the book, but he said Smolen was a very good player). I have both, they are mandetoryif you are going to play for any real money.

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed your post. I have both as well.

Phat Mack
06-10-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Example:

Player A: Full house/straight/AA
Player B: Flush/trips/KK
Stake: $100.

Full house beats a flush.
Straight beats trips.
AA beats KK.

Player B has to pay player A $300.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or $400, depending on the betting structure. An extra $100 for winning the majority of the hands.

Luv2DriveTT
06-10-2005, 10:33 PM
I forgot to mention, they play this game at Pokerroom.com

Photoc
06-18-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is one book on the subject. Don Smolen (sp?) has about a 40 page book and software program for the game for like $60. The man, if not the book, got a thumbs up from Sklansky (I don't think he has read the book, but he said Smolen was a very good player). I have both, they are mandetoryif you are going to play for any real money.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice job. Mandetory is spelled mandatory

Luv2DriveTT
06-18-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice job. Mandetory is spelled mandatory

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says it's mandatory to spell correctly? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Can't wait till Sunday, there will be some serious slow rolling going on!!!

dibbs
06-19-2005, 05:22 AM
I remembered they use to have this on there, I'm looking through my client right now and can't find it, do I have to go through the Java client or something?

dibbs
06-19-2005, 05:44 AM
Nevermind found it on their webpage