PDA

View Full Version : AQo - Turn Descision

JoshuaD
06-10-2005, 02:42 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls, CO folds.

Flop: (7.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero ??

I'm tuning my overcard play. What're you doing here and why?

No reads on villian.

LoaferGee12
06-10-2005, 02:46 AM
Why'd you raise this flop? Any reason to suspect villain is on a total bluff here? I would have folded this flop.

J.R.
06-10-2005, 02:46 AM
1) did we raise the flop for value (or as an unlikely semi-bluff, but if so, same result)

or

2) to get a cheap river look v. a likely pair &lt; K?

i dunno about the flop riase but it *could* be right

JoshuaD
06-10-2005, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1) did we raise the flop for value (or as an unlikely semi-bluff, but if so, same result)

or

[/ QUOTE ]

Both. That's why I'm not sure if I should bet again to continue the semi-bluff, or if I should check-behind for the cheap river card.

eric5148
06-10-2005, 02:53 AM
My decision here depends a lot on the texture of the board, and thus how likely it is that he's betting a draw. With an uncoordinated rainbow flop, he's not betting a draw here. I fold.

Nick C
06-10-2005, 02:53 AM
I'd consider just folding to the flop bet, actually. BB is betting into a PFR with a king on the board and no real draws.

But since you raised instead, I think bluffing the turn to represent the king is something to consider.

I'm out of touch with 2/4 right now, though. I do think a turn bet would take the pot a fair amount of the time at 3/6. Would it do so often enough? I'm not sure. In any event, I doubt you have the best hand.

PokerSparky
06-10-2005, 02:58 AM
The way you played, I think you have to bet the turn, hoping he'll fold a 3/7.

Stack
06-10-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

or

[/ QUOTE ]

Both. That's why I'm not sure if I should bet again to continue the semi-bluff, or if I should check-behind for the cheap river card.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
No reads on villian.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't consider the flop raise without reads.

JoshuaD
06-10-2005, 03:01 AM
No one likes this flop raise?

Nick C
06-10-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No one likes this flop raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it has merits, but it is a play. Part of its value comes from the hope of stealing the pot unimproved, I think.

The thing is, though, I really don't like king-rag-rag flops at all when I have AQ and get bet into.

J.R.
06-10-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Both

[/ QUOTE ]

loco. have to pick one or the other, and need a read for either

PokerSparky
06-10-2005, 03:05 AM
I'm torn. Getting over 8:1 here, I don't really want to fold, but I also think villain has a K the majority of the time. I don't have a clear answer, and I'm looking forward to others opinions on this one.

JoshuaD
06-10-2005, 03:17 PM
I swear this isn't a bump. I don't even expect the thread to go back to the top of the forum.

coffeecrazy1
06-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Check it...the raise on the flop has bought you a ticket to the river, so let's not make this a more expensive trip than necessary.

ihardlyknowher
06-10-2005, 03:25 PM
I think I am checking and folding to a river bet unimproved. Given the extremely dry flop, I would think villain's flop bet/call indicates K with bad/marginal kicker or a 7.

Buck_65
06-10-2005, 03:40 PM
If you raise the flop, you really ought to bet the turn and try to steal the pot. I'd prefer to fold the flop, though. Villain likely has a pair of some sort, and the pot is small, so you can get away from your ace high pretty easily.

Chicho
06-10-2005, 03:53 PM
This is one of those situations that costs me the most chips. I play very tight-agressive and don't think enough before throwing chips in the pot "to find out where I stand".
My blind aggressiveness is probably why I'm only up about 10BB in 2/4 after 9000 hands after having done well at $1/2.

If the board had connectors or suited draws would you bet all of the time?

Also, do you have any suggestions on being selectively aggressive once you get to these levels. I see a lot or fold posts, but I don't see how you can make money against decent opponents if you fold after being bet into all of the time.