PDA

View Full Version : A fun, non-competitive game for preschoolers

DavidC
06-10-2005, 02:24 AM
I was watching a show or reading an article on how some group of parents want games to be made that aren't competitive, where there's no loser.

I thought I'd come up with one. This even gives them valuable social skills that they will need to fit into our society.

---

A parent asks two preschoolers "How are you today?"

The preschoolers race to see which one can respond, "Pretty good." first!

Then, the one that doesn't say that first (we won't call the other one the winner), says, "That's good."

JoshuaD
06-10-2005, 02:26 AM
The only modification I would make is that it's not a race to say "Pretty good". The competitive atmosphere of a race isn't good for preschoolers. I think it would be better if they discussed it amongst themselves and came up with a concensus on who should be in charge of saying which part.

Otherwise I like your game, I'll be implementing it in my kindegarten class next week.

mason55
06-10-2005, 02:29 AM
How about you have a game where anyone who says something nice about someone else is a winner? I think that would boost everyone's self esteem at once.

But then what about the kids who can't say something nice? Hmm this is tough

DavidC
06-10-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The only modification I would make is that it's not a race to say "Pretty good". The competitive atmosphere of a race isn't good for preschoolers. I think it would be better if they discussed it amongst themselves and came up with a concensus on who should be in charge of saying which part.

Otherwise I like your game, I'll be implementing it in my kindegarten class next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... you might have a point.

Let's set up a poll.

mason55
06-10-2005, 02:31 AM
A poll would give you a winning option and a losing option. Think of the losing option's feelings!

DavidC
06-10-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A poll would give you a winning option and a losing option. Think of the losing option's feelings!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you'll have to forgive me... satire's not really my thing. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cubswin
06-10-2005, 02:59 AM
I was watching a show or reading an article on how some group of parents want games to be made that aren't competitive, where there's no loser.

Why do we need to shelter kids from the real world? Let's face it, there are winners in this world and there are losers. The sooner a child realizes this the better off they will be.

cubs

Dr. StrangeloveX
06-10-2005, 03:02 AM
The preschoolers should work together as a team to kill a fullsized adult who is in turn trying to take out as many of the preschoolers as possible. Fun AND non-competitive.

JoshuaD
06-10-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The preschoolers should work together as a team to kill a fullsized adult who is in turn trying to take out as many of the preschoolers as possible. Fun AND non-competitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll also be implementing this next week. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.