PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever played Starcraft?

nickey009
06-10-2005, 02:14 AM
What was your favorite race to use?

What strategies did you like?

I was always terran and my friend and I would do a zealot/marine early rush. It got to be a pretty brutal attack. I'd go map control and he'd go heavy dragoons to finish it usually.

DemonDeac
06-10-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever played Starcraft?

[/ QUOTE ]

no

BusterStacks
06-10-2005, 02:16 AM
Protoss. I crush people at SC.

btw broodwars is GAY.

TStoneMBD
06-10-2005, 02:21 AM
i played it for like 2 seconds and was like wtf am i doing and shut the thing off. this coming from possibly the biggest game geek ever. i think it was mainly that i didnt have an interest in learning the mechanics of the game, but if i did it probably would have been alot of fun.

stabn
06-10-2005, 02:22 AM
I bought it but oddly enough never played it.

CrashPat
06-10-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

once, it sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

DemonDeac
06-10-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

once, it sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, it was right the way it was

Dr. StrangeloveX
06-10-2005, 02:58 AM
SC/BW is like poker. Everyone thinks they are good until they get dominated by someone who actually is.

Eihli
06-10-2005, 03:01 AM
Total Annihilation is better.

CrashPat
06-10-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

nah, it was right the way it was

[/ QUOTE ]

You are lucky then. Worst game I've ever played. made it really hard for people to convince me to try to play warcraft 3 when it came out. Turns out that may be the best computer game of all time, but that is for another discussion.

BusterStacks
06-10-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
SC/BW is like poker. Everyone thinks they are good until they get dominated by someone who actually is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i don't play them Koreans anymore.

Kjell201
06-10-2005, 03:26 AM
Terran

Heavy Metal baby, as in blocking the ramp entrance at lost temple with 2 supply depots and a barrack then going for quick tanks/dropships (against protoss), or tanks/goliaths/wraiths (against terran). Against Zerg I'd go marine/medic.

I was close to the pros, but not worldclass. I've beat players competing in the WorldCyberGames (one of them took 3rd), but they won more often against me than I did against them /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Starcraft players that switched to poker that comes to my mind:
Tillerman (used to play 5/10-10/20 NL at stars and seemed to be doing good, don't see him anymore, anyone know where he at?)
Elky (10/20 NL, 1000/5000 HU sngs and sometimes 100/200 at stars)
Rekrul (10/20 NL at stars)
ackbleh, thebusdriver, incinerate, rs.maynard (all from stars)
Dared (20,000$ NL at Prima)

Weatherhead03
06-10-2005, 03:37 AM
Oh have I ever..and the Zerg are unbeatable..so many different strats to take with them.

geormiet
06-10-2005, 03:40 AM
Yeah except in SC, if I play against someone better than me, I lose every session.

Anyone ever gone on tilt from playing SC? I have...

Malachii
06-10-2005, 03:44 AM
Good Terran players destroy good Zerg players. Terran is the best race imo (albeit a difficult one to play well.) Siege tanks are just devestatingly effective.

Jeff W
06-10-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Elky (10/20 NL, 1000/5000 HU sngs and sometimes 100/200 at stars)

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard he was broke.

[ QUOTE ]

Dared (20,000$ NL at Prima)

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that his SC handle?

Pillars lurks on this site, but he isn't a high roller NL player(yet).

MarkL444
06-10-2005, 03:52 AM
somebody play warcraft 3 with me. im not very good (at all) but want to play.

yellowjack
06-10-2005, 04:21 AM
Yes, Protoss. In BGH pubbies I'd go zeal rush into speedlots and psi storm. Dragoons in numbers were only good vs. terran going heavy metal 1v1. Otherwise they're terribly cost-ineffective.

Like in poker, having a certain strategy all the time sucks but works vs. very mediocre opponents.

yellowjack
06-10-2005, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
going for quick tanks/dropships (against protoss), or tanks/goliaths/wraiths (against terran). Against Zerg I'd go marine/medic.

I was close to the pros, but not worldclass. I've beat players competing in the WorldCyberGames (one of them took 3rd), but they won more often against me than I did against them /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because doing the same thing vs. different opponents regardless of map works well /images/graemlins/confused.gif

gorie
06-10-2005, 07:23 AM
i liked them all. zerg was my favorite.

mutarush -> cracklings usually.

i only really played sherwood forest.

Klepton
06-10-2005, 07:33 AM
zerg
hydra rush

3 teams of 12 hydras fully upgraded = pwnage

Schneids
06-10-2005, 07:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
zerg
hydra rush

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my fav.

Against people who really, really sucked my friend and I would just play defensive until we have enough ultralisks to do a mass ultra-rush. That's a funny sight.

Schneids
06-10-2005, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good Terran players destroy good Zerg players. Terran is the best race imo (albeit a difficult one to play well.) Siege tanks are just devestatingly effective.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my thought as well. I rarely lost when I played but when I did it was always to a very very good Terran player.

disjunction
06-10-2005, 09:01 AM
I was always interested in Starcraft theory but I never wanted to invest huge amounts of hours learning to micromanage. It's good to see that www.battlereports.com (http://www.battlereports.com) is still up, I used to love that site. It used to be a twoplustwo for Starcraft, but looking at it now, a lot of the reports have too much artsy stuff and not enough analysis for my taste.

If Starcraft paid what poker pays, I would play Starcraft in a second.

Also, I would be much more interested in hearing Sklansky say something about Starcraft over anything he has to say about poker. Alas =(

jakethebake
06-10-2005, 09:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not 12.

Freakin
06-10-2005, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct, but it's close. SC is the only other RTS that ever came close to TA for me, and more recently, LOTR: Battle for middle earth.

And for the record, Starcraft Starship Troopers map was killer for lan parties. Put Rico at one of the chokepoint ramps on teh side and watch as he racks up 1000+ kills over the course of the map.

Damn, I really want to play some sc now.

Freakin

nickey009
06-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Seriously! Once a starcraft discussion starts it always makes me want to play. I was no where near as good as those pros that play but the game was the most balanced 3 race game I've ever played. Each race was very unique too.

The only map I really played was Big Game Hunters. I hated those maps where you didn't have to expand because I always felt that expansion was a vital part of the game.

Once BW came out I heard that Heavy Metal was the way to go for Terran but I could never master it. I stuck with a marines and medics rush to follow in with my partners zealots. I mainly played 2v2's.

handsome
06-10-2005, 02:49 PM
I used to play at the level where I could have easily found a sponsorship. Oh yea, I'm korean.

asofel
06-10-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i don't play them Koreans anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha. a korean friend of mine freshman year in college was big into starcraft. his mouse clicking skills were sweet.

Izenra
06-10-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not 12.

[/ QUOTE ]

The biggest pros who win like +150 k /year are all 23-24

hehe

orange
06-10-2005, 04:17 PM
I was never really great at SC, but enjoyed playing a few games a week. My favorite strat was zealot/marine rushing, or fast teching for terran. That was a few years back, now I play LOTR:Battle for Middle Earth, and still a bit of AOE2:the conquerors.

Klepton
06-10-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my thought as well. I rarely lost when I played but when I did it was always to a very very good Terran player.

[/ QUOTE ]

terran bunkers with sige behind = zerg loss

there was just no way to get in after that

Freakin
06-10-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially if you stim the marines up before you put them in bunkers. That was so crazy.

Freakin

Dr. StrangeloveX
06-10-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are talking about the first few minutes, ya bunkers and siege tanks get you to the middle game. Beyond that, playing 2v2 it was usually a pretty good sign that the other team was going to get owned, because the terran's partner would be by himself too long.

ChoicestHops
06-10-2005, 05:27 PM
I used to bereally big into the game. It was my life about 6 years ago.

I remember playing Slayer on Kali before he got huge and won the KBK championship.

Blarg
06-10-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Much, much better. Starcraft was actually a big step backwards for the genre after TA introduced realistic trajectories and physics, and used 3D models instead of sprites. The sound was also incredible -- the thundering of the Big Berthas and the landing of their shells, and the firing of the Commander's gun are among the really visceral sounds I still remember clear as day.

Nobody can Blizzard the gaming mags and sites like Blizzard, though. When Starcraft came out it was touted as "revolutionary" by gaming mags for having more story. *yawn* Pretty ridiculous, as almost everyone into RTS's just cracked the box and immediately got onto the internet anyway, skipping stories and standalone gameplay entirely.

Kind of a pain when people did that, actually. You'd get in a match with someone who would ask you how to move a unit backwards, or something stupid and elementary like that.

Blarg
06-10-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct, but it's close. SC is the only other RTS that ever came close to TA for me, and more recently, LOTR: Battle for middle earth.

And for the record, Starcraft Starship Troopers map was killer for lan parties. Put Rico at one of the chokepoint ramps on teh side and watch as he racks up 1000+ kills over the course of the map.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think SC is even remotely close to how good TA was.

I did like Age of Empires II quite a bit.

And Warcraft I, II, and III were all fun, though Warcraft II remains my favorite among them. If only they had let you build protective walls, like you could in WC1, though...

I'm currently curious about how good the next Age of Empires will be.

amoeba
06-10-2005, 05:51 PM
There are lots of SC greats and semigreats who has made the transition to poker.

at least there is no micro in poker.

Freakin
06-11-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think SC is even remotely close to how good TA was.

I did like Age of Empires II quite a bit.

And Warcraft I, II, and III were all fun, though Warcraft II remains my favorite among them. If only they had let you build protective walls, like you could in WC1, though...

I'm currently curious about how good the next Age of Empires will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

SC was good for entirely different reasons. I feel like there was a lot more depth to the strategy you could have for each race. Sort of like the streetfighter 2 discussion on here a while ago.

TA was a much much much better game as far as gameplay, graphics, and modifications go. I still think it is better than nearly every RTS today in that regard. Fully rendered 3d models and landscapes with proper LOS and shadowing hasn't been done well by anyone else since then. TA: Units compilation pack adds almost TOO MANY units to the game, and karganeth completely unbalances the game (especially an army of 10-15 of them).

Dammit, now I'm gonna have to dig up my CDs and install it again.

Freakin

Blarg
06-11-2005, 06:21 PM
I really liked that you could make movies of your games, a feature that's pretty standard now. Those downloaded movies were every bit as fun to watch as any action movie; more fun than most. They really kept you on the edge of your seat. That's one of the most fun thing about RTS's to me -- you can learn from and have lots of fun watching the games of others you weren't even present for.

I liked that with Warcraft II and III, and Age of Empires, as well.

One thing I really remember from that game is seeing the jets turn around completely, flashing their bellies up to the sky, when you had them change directions. That was such a huge difference from even the most well-drawn sprite. The step back to sprites, simple rules, and a 2-D world was really a disappointment to me after TA pioneered a 3D world with realistic LOS and distance effects on weapons.