PDA

View Full Version : Bein a bully on the bubble

pergesu
06-10-2005, 01:46 AM
Here's a hand from a tourney I just played. Empire $22.

People seemed to hate pushing into me cause I had made a couple puhtodds calls at that point, calls with like 94o, so I imagine they think I was calling everything. It'd been super easy for me to steal blinds up to this point.

Is this bein too aggressive? I figured even if I called and lost, I'd have 1700 chips left and still be in really good shape.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t3960)
SB (t1200)
BB (t560)
UTG (t2280)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3960 (All-In)</font>

Degen
06-10-2005, 01:49 AM
depends on how much you've been doing it and how likely you think he is to fold...you obviously don't want a call.

but i think it is important to not only abuse the shorties, but to also steal from the 2nd stack...if i were him i'd likely only call with JJ-AA here and maybe AK.

Nice bet.

Andre

Karak567
06-10-2005, 01:50 AM
EASY EASY EASY push.

He does not want to put his chips in the middle cause of the small stack, thus the min raise. (well that is the case most of the time)

I PUNISHED two medium stacks in a bubble I was just in. I pushed overtop their min raising with trash and took it down everytime.

Good play.

durron597
06-10-2005, 01:57 AM
Easiest push ever?

citanul
06-10-2005, 02:07 AM
this spot is all about knowing the utg guy.

if you think that he's capable of folding a decent hand here, or well, i mean, it's the low levels here, he first has to be able to fold like QT when he was raising that. then later, you need to get him to be good enough to fold AT or something like that, then this is all good. clearly you don't want to get called here, though uh, your cards are live?

but yeah, as you point out, without much knowledge of that, yeah, the fact that you have a stack even if called and lose makes this play standard here.

go on with your bad self.

citanul

45suited
06-10-2005, 02:08 AM
I agree with the push, but I think you'll be surprised at how many times the guy calls. Probably more than you think...

I made a similar post recently, but in that case, the raiser had raised with half his stack, putting him down to like 750 chips or so. I did it because the shortstack had only 50 chips. The guy called me with AQ (which shocked me that he would do this with such a weak hand). The consensus was that my push was bad because I should have realized that the raiser would feel pot-committed and call in spite of the 50 chip shortstack. While this case is far different, I wouldn't be surprised if he called 1/3 of the time. I'd push just like you did, but don't be shocked if he calls.

ilya
06-10-2005, 02:09 AM
This may well be a good play, but be careful -- sometimes players will do this as a way of "trapping" the agressive big stack with something like AJ.

Also, this play's no good against a known good player, as he will have AA or at least KK here.