PDA

View Full Version : Marginally interesting AA hand

private joker
06-10-2005, 01:25 AM
Villain is unknown, but the table has been playing tight until this bizarrely active hand.

How does your line change given the presence of the clear moron in the BB? Is anyone more or less aggressive post flop?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, BB calls.

Flop: (16.33 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, CO folds, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (11.16 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

River: (18.16 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20.16 BB

Nick C
06-10-2005, 01:29 AM
It looks all right to me.

Unfortunately, after MP1 3-bets your turn checkraise and then the king falls on the river, I'd be pleasantly surprised if I actually took the pot.

private joker
06-10-2005, 01:34 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />

Unfortunately, after MP1 3-bets your turn checkraise and then the king falls on the river, I'd be pleasantly surprised if I actually took the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to play the river more aggressively until the K fell. The range of hands I put him on includes AA, KK, QQ, and AQ. There's one way to have AA, 3 ways to have QQ, 6 ways to have AQ, and 6 ways (until the river, which becomes 3) to have KK. Now that KK beats me, I'm only beating AQ and chopping with AA. I changed to a check-call.

Nick C
06-10-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to play the river more aggressively until the K fell. The range of hands I put him on includes AA, KK, QQ, and AQ. There's one way to have AA, 3 ways to have QQ, 6 ways to have AQ, and 6 ways (until the river, which becomes 3) to have KK. Now that KK beats me, I'm only beating AQ and chopping with AA. I changed to a check-call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think the king on the river is really troublesome.

I'm thinking that with QQ, Villain might raise the flop but might also wait. (The strength you showed preflop might encourage him to play fast, though.) With AQ, he might get scared by your turn checkraise (especially after all the strength you had shown previously) and slow down.

So I think we should weight KK and AA a little higher than the numbers might indicate (though Villain really shouldn't feel much more comfortable with KK than with AQ).

On the other hand, he could just be badly overplaying TT or something.

JoshuaD
06-10-2005, 02:23 AM
I don't like your flop and turn plan.

With BB hanging around, I want to raise that again on the flop to get another BB in the pot stat, so I don't put too many in on the later streets.

MP1's still got a pretty wide range of hands, but QQ is scary, so you don't wanna wait to screw around on that turn. Especially considering that BB is making every flop raise much more juicy.

I 3-bet the flop and bet out the turn, whether MP1 caps or just calls. I call down if he raises the turn.

Evan
06-10-2005, 02:28 AM
I'd 3 bet the flop.

Nick C
06-10-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your flop and turn plan.

With BB hanging around, I want to raise that again on the flop to get another BB in the pot stat, so I don't put too many in on the later streets.

MP1's still got a pretty wide range of hands, but QQ is scary, so you don't wanna wait to screw around on that turn. Especially considering that BB is making every flop raise much more juicy.

I 3-bet the flop and bet out the turn, whether MP1 caps or just calls. I call down if he raises the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thinking is that a flop 3-bet and turn checkraise (and I think those are both valid plays) could both slow MP1 down if he has a worse hand.

Potentially, the turn checkraise could trap BB for more bets, though. Also, I don't think we're getting reliable information from MP1 no matter what we do (though I do also think the 3-bet of the turn checkraise is scary).

Anyway, though, Evan also advocates a flop 3-bet, and I'm hoping he'll give his reasoning.

private joker
06-10-2005, 03:29 AM
Evan never gives reasoning. He leaves it to others to elaborate. Do you see why?

JoshuaD
06-10-2005, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Evan never gives reasoning. He leaves it to others to elaborate. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

So no one can prove him wrong? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jeff W
06-10-2005, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Evan never gives reasoning. He leaves it to others to elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that his reasoning is:

1. BB will probably call two cold anyway.
2. A scare card might come on the turn to kill the action.

Otherwise, it looks like a pretty good spot to check-raise the turn.

bozlax
06-10-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, yes! But, I'm not going to tell you.

Dave D
06-10-2005, 04:18 PM
At the flop I think I'm probably thinking that my aces wont hold up with this many callers. Why not three bet the flop, if only to try to isolate a little and/or make the pot bigger if you do get lucky (because you are playing this to the end right?)

private joker
06-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Very little chatter about this one. Is it that easy or that difficult? Or that boring, maybe...

Jules22
06-10-2005, 06:03 PM
i would 3 bet the flop to build a pot as it looks like you are way ahead and dont want the villain to take a free card on the turn if your checkraise whiffs

chesspain
06-10-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, yes! But, I'm not going to tell you.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about because it would severely suck if Hero not only missed collecting an extra BB on the flop but then on top of that the turn gets checked through.

private joker
06-10-2005, 06:18 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />

How about because it would severely suck if Hero not only missed collecting an extra BB on the flop but then on top of that the turn gets checked through.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK,

1) What hands are raising this flop that will check the turn through? Are there any draws here I'm missing? And of those hands that will check the turn, how many outs do they have against me, if they're behind?

2) Why would it suck to give a free card here -- if I'm ahead, are there many hands drawing live against me except for 2 hearts that could catch a backdoor flush? And if I'm behind, surely it doesn't suck for the turn to check through...