PDA

View Full Version : River Decision with the Straight

Hybrid_11
06-10-2005, 12:26 AM
Both villains are basic abc poker. Have not seen anything stand out but nothing stupid either.

My question is on the river. By the few hands i have posted you might be getting an impression that im weak/tight but maybe thats a leak i can fix. Whats my play when it gets back to me on the river?

I figured ep would call the one bet raise with most holdings but if i 3 bet he would fold and i would gain the one bet from lp on the call so theres no difference in profit. If i 3 bet and then get capped im prob looking at a full house or at best a chop.

Anyway enough rambling is this me just being weak/tight again or do i have a case for the call.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

UVaHoo
06-10-2005, 12:34 AM
I would probably raise for value here, since I see Jx far too often to just call. If he shows the boat, I grimace and watch my chips move in the wrong direction.

Am I too tight if I fold preflop here? I find that QJo is dominated far too often to call a raise out of position, even from the bb. But, I'm trying to bring up my vpip a couple of points, so this might be one of those hands that I could call instead of fold.

cold_cash
06-10-2005, 12:34 AM
I think calling and going for the overcall is fine here.

toss
06-10-2005, 12:37 AM
The river puts a 4 straight onto the board so I would bet out too. If you reraise UTG will probably fold and you extract one more bet from CO unless he caps you. You may also lose to a Full house. I think it all depends on how likely UTG will overcall should you call. I guess I like overcalling better since the board is paired. He'll figure that he might win against 97 or 98. Hmmmm tough choice.

I also find PF questionable.

cold_cash
06-10-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably raise for value here, since I see Jx far too often to just call. If he shows the boat, I grimace and watch my chips move in the wrong direction.

Am I too tight if I fold preflop here? I find that QJo is dominated far too often to call a raise out of position, even from the bb. But, I'm trying to bring up my vpip a couple of points, so this might be one of those hands that I could call instead of fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he does have Jx, which is a real possibility, we will only win 1 more bet by raising, (if UTG+1 will call one more, but not two), and that's assuming the CO will cap with that hand, which isn't a guarantee.

And I'm not wild about my hand against an early position raiser, but getting 5.5:1 I think it's okay as long as you don't get stuck.

UVaHoo
06-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Going for the overcall on the paired board is certainly a valid point...still, maybe it's just on pokerroom or something, but I seem to see people going hog-wild too often with just the higher end of the straight, but not the nut straight.

Noticing that these guys are ABC players though, I can buy the argument for just calling and going for the overcall.

Hybrid_11
06-10-2005, 12:49 AM
A comment against what i did end up doing.
Seeing as the river was when lp finally woke up how feasable do you think it is that lp has a full house. I mean how often does he flip over a boat. With trips hes protecting his hand with all those draws. We would think atleast. How safe do you guys think I can that the boat is not really out there.