PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Choice 10-20 hand

Chris Alger
01-08-2003, 06:03 AM
10-20 online. A loose player limps 5 off the button. Fold to you on the button, you just call with KdJc. Sb calls, bb checks.

Flop is JsTs7c. Check to you, you bet and only the sb calls. He's a semi-solid player on the passive side. You figure him for a draw.

T = Qh, giving you a QJT7 2-flush board for your KJ. The sb check-raises your bet (oops). You know this guy enough to take this raise seriously (more seriously than most) and rule out calling on the river unimproved. It's 7-1 if you pick up another bet on the river if you hit a winner with your weakish one-card open-ender.

Thinking at the table, do you:

(a) Call because a straight, much less the Broadway, is but a small portion of the hands he'll check-raise with on the turn?

(b) Fold automatically because even with 7-1 your overlay is thin and you could be looking at a split?

(c) Fold because the flop was suited and coordinated?

(d) Call because forfeiting the pot heads-up when you're still alive is such a bad policy, even when you can rule out having the best hand?

Also, how hard would you find this decision at the table?

Toro
01-08-2003, 10:01 AM
I'm folding for reasons b) & c). The only way I'm calling a check raise on the turn from this type of player is if my draw is to the nuts(flush or full house) in an unsplit pot. If you call the turn, you also have to call the river if there is even a small chance he is on a semi-bluff because at that point the pot is too big.

Ulysses
01-08-2003, 03:46 PM
B) is the closest. I fold if I'm sure I'm behind because even if I catch up I might split or still lose and pay off another bet (if he has something like KsQs, for example, and a flush card makes the straight, or if he took one off w/ AK and the 9 hits)

Also, how hard would you find this decision at the table?

Against a poor-player, this is a little bit of a hard decision. Against a solid player, this is an easy decision. Against a really good player, this is a very tough decision.

andyfox
01-08-2003, 04:12 PM
If you had raised pre-flop, sb might a) have folded pre-flop, which is good when you have K-J; or b) not have check-raised you on the turn, fearing A-K or a set.

In my game, I'd call here, but for this player in this game, your results may vary.

Diplomat
01-08-2003, 04:36 PM
Fold for mostly B and a lil bit of C. Checkraised on the turn by a passive semi-solid player when I hold second pair and a one-card straight draw in a small pot? Muck that hand.

Chris Alger
01-08-2003, 05:21 PM
This was an old hand history I found so I'm not sure why I didn't raise. I agree that with an aggressive opponent it's a call, mostly because he knows you can't have the nuts. What I was looking for was whether you can more safely fold against a straightforward passive player on the grounds that he didn't bet or raise earlier, which increases the chance of you having 3 outs to a split (which is what happened).

Ed Miller
01-08-2003, 05:50 PM
You should call the turn. A non-spade A gives you the nuts... a 9 is possibly an out... furthermore, a K or a J might be outs as well. That's way too many potential outs to be folding here.