PDA

View Full Version : Taking advantage of "Keeping the bubble alive" as Small Stack

HonestIago15
06-09-2005, 09:33 PM
I've been reading the "A very Standard Fold" post (fascinating btw). I'm going to test my understanding of this concept by presenting a scenario in which (perhaps) the small stack can use this idea to their advantage.

Blinds are 100/200

SB: (500)
BB: (2000)
CO: (5000)
Button: (2500)

SB has: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Now here's my question. I think that most of the time I would push here, but considering the idea of "keeping the bubble alive," might it be a good idea to wait for the next hand, though it will likely be inferior to A /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, and push into the big stack, hoping that they understand that idea? I definately suspect it wouldn't be intelligent to do this in anything smaller than the 100+9's as the big stack would almost certainly call. Thoughts?

Honest Iago

The Yugoslavian
06-09-2005, 09:37 PM
No...you need to push the SB there.

If you *think* a big stack is allowing the small stack to stay alive, most of the time it's just b/c the big stack has bad hands and can't fathom calling with 72o....not b/c he's a sophisticated player who wants to prolong a bubble where he has a significant chip stack configuration advantage.

Yugoslav

HonestIago15
06-09-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No...you need to push the SB there.

If you *think* a big stack is allowing the small stack to stay alive, most of the time it's just b/c the big stack has bad hands and can't fathom calling with 72o....not b/c he's a sophisticated player who wants to prolong a bubble where he has a significant chip stack configuration advantage.

Yugoslav

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh well I would definately never attemp this play, my bankroll is only big enough yet for me to play the 20's. But there is never a situation in which you perhaps know the player who is the big stack or he seems to be playing in a very sophisticated manner where this might be a good idea?

microbet
06-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Not a direct answer to your question, but a couple of times when I've been shortstack in this kind of situation I have chatted to the big stack saying he should keep me alive. Am I a bad person?

treeofwisdom7
06-09-2005, 09:47 PM
the reason it seems like the big stack is keeping the small stack alive is because the big stack is a tard who likes to call to see the flop then fold when the small stack puts in his last 6 and a half chips because they didnt hit the flop.

Freudian
06-09-2005, 09:49 PM
You have to sit right next to the big stack for it to work, so either he can fold to your raises when he is BB or he can fold to your BB.

HonestIago15
06-09-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have to sit right next to the big stack for it to work, so either he can fold to your raises when he is BB or he can fold to your BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so lets say your stack is t800 and you're directly next to the big stack, blinds 100/200. If you received a hand like A2o in the big blind, CO and Button fold and the SB (2500) pushes, might waiting and trying to take advantage of that concept work if you were confident the big stack was a person who understood it?

Freudian
06-09-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so lets say your stack is t800 and you're directly next to the big stack, blinds 100/200. If you received a hand like A2o in the big blind, CO and Button fold and the SB (2500) pushes, might waiting and trying to take advantage of that concept work if you were confident the big stack was a person who understood it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you could fold and push the next hand, since the middle stacks won't dare to attack the big stacks BB without a very good hand. Big stack will then fold.

It is of course even better if big stack is to your right and fold to your BB from SB.

That said, there is a pretty good chance big stack won't care and will take you out first chance he gets so I think you should take advantage of every opportunity you get until big stack through his actions show you he wants you to stick around.

Myst
06-09-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not a direct answer to your question, but a couple of times when I've been shortstack in this kind of situation I have chatted to the big stack saying he should keep me alive. Am I a bad person?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont tell these n00bs how to play! Jeezus.