PDA

View Full Version : I'm learning from mike l.

Ulysses
01-07-2003, 10:25 PM
So I'm the only player anywhere near tight at the 15-30 this night. I haven't played a hand in 4 or 5 orbits (I've had crap that got raised in the BB) and am getting really bored. I'm also way, way up. The game is really slowing down as well, since I'm not in there jacking it up w/ great hands. Someone even makes a comment like "why are you playing so damn tight with that huge stack in front of you?" Yes, I'm making bad excuses for what's about to happen.

The last few hands have had a disproportionate # of 4s and 7s on the board. I have the button. I say "OK, if I get 47o, I'm raising it!" Sure enough, I get 47o. A couple of people limp in and, true to my word, I say "Wow - 47o, I raise!". I felt it would be dishonorable to do otherwise. Note that in 3 hours, the worst hand I think the table has seen me show down is AJs. SB (very tight, pretty solid player) calls. Big hand, guaranteed. Also guaranteed that it's not QQ/KK/AA. 90+% chance he has AQ or AK. BB folds. Limpers (MP, CO - both super loose, could be anything) call.

Flop 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

SB bets. I immediately put him on AK, 99% sure. Both limpers call. I raise and everyone laughs. Everyone calls.

Turn 4 /forums/images/icons/club.gif

SB checks. I'm even more sure he's on AK now. MP bets. Maybe a King, but more likely a diamond draw. CO folds. I call and say "slowplaying my full house." As expected, SB raises. MP calls. Now I 3-bet. SB calls. MP calls.

River 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

SB bets. MP raises. I 3-bet. SB folds. MP calls and says "show me your pocket Kings."

I show him my 47o and take down the pot.

I play goot, no?

mikelow
01-07-2003, 10:35 PM
Sehr gut! Just don't do it too often.

mike l.
01-07-2003, 11:48 PM
your postflop play of this hand is exceptionally good as well as your position so you make up a lot for your awful starter. see how that works?

mike l.
01-07-2003, 11:52 PM
"Just don't do it too often."

wrong. the key is to do it just a little too often and then realise when youve hit that magic spot and turn back the other way. then flux between too often too loose and too often too tight. just never be "just right" in the minds of your opponents. always keep em guessing and force them into ftop errors.

Ulysses
01-08-2003, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the compliment.

see how that works?

Absolutely. Obviously I got the dream board here. However, I think this hand is still a great example of how critical position is in making a play like this worthwhile.

Ulysses
01-08-2003, 03:49 AM
the key is to do it just a little too often and then realise when youve hit that magic spot and turn back the other way. then flux between too often too loose and too often too tight.

I think this is the best articulation you've written describing how you take full advantage of your style of play. Very well said.

Ed Miller
01-08-2003, 05:07 AM
Your fantastic play on the turn got you several extra bets. Cool hand.. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif