PDA

View Full Version : Billiard Fans Check This Out

HDPM
01-07-2003, 09:09 PM
web page (http://www.caromcafe.com/frameset.html)

Check this website out. They have great graphics showing shots from great 3 cushion players. Click on Blomdahl's section, seeing how Blomdahl's sporty run of 14 played out was neat. Man I wish there was a billiard table in this state. LOL /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Phat Mack
01-08-2003, 01:12 PM
This run, and the entire match, is available on tape from Accu-Stats. Note that shot number 12 is a scratch. Blomdahl turned and apopolgised to Cuelemans after he made it.

If Blomdahl plays in Vegas this August, it is worth the trip to see him. He's a nice guy who is more than willing to chat with fans, but watching him play perfectly illustrates what is meant by "killer instinct."

HDPM
01-08-2003, 02:13 PM
What is in Las Vegas in August? I don't follow billiards or pool anymore, but since my wife finally came through and got us a house that will hold a pool table, I have been poking around a little on the internet. Had my cues retipped and am looking forward to moving day and having the table set up so I can play pool again. (I have avoided the only pool hall in town for a while. Maybe I will try it once in a while if I get to making the occasional ball.) Anyway, no billiards at all around here so I have not hit a billiard ball in 8 or 10 years and just don't follow the sport. But I would definitely shag to Las Vegas to see world class players. Not that I like Las Vegas or anything. I have only seen one top player even practice (Allan Gilbert). I was amazed at what he could do with the cue ball. I might also get some of those matches on tape. I've just never seen these guys play and they are amazing. So is it a world tourn in Las Vegas or what? And where do you get tickets, or do you just show up wherever the tourn is etc...?

Phat Mack
01-08-2003, 06:05 PM
I think the Vegas tourney is held every other year, and this is an off year. It is usually held in August. Here's a link to this year's tourney's held in the US.

http://www.caromcorner.com/caromcornertourmain.html

Ray Zee
01-08-2003, 10:49 PM
who is frederick cuelmanns. is he the son of ray c. and what ever happened to him. he was by far the best that i ever saw at three cushion.

Ray Zee
01-08-2003, 10:56 PM
what a joke the game has become. the table is so fast. when i played none of those shots were possible as you couldnt stroke enough get around the table like that. but it sure makes the game spectacular insead of the slow boring game it was in my day on the slow old wool cloths that were dripping wet from the humidity.

HDPM
01-08-2003, 11:38 PM
Yeah, the first time I tried it was on a Bruswick with burlap cloth, old rails, and dead balls. Sometimes a bunch of Vietnamese guys would come in and play straight rail and they would load the table with powder and cone chalk. It was like playing in gravel or something. The first time I got on a heated slate Soren Sogaard with fine cloth I didn't know what to do. Well yes I did. I still had no stroke and missed every shot, so I felt right at home. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Ray Zee
01-09-2003, 12:10 AM
even a five rail billiard took all your stroke. it was rare to see even a run of five or so. i remember when cuelmann was the first i think to average one billard per turn at the table. i wonder what they do now. that may be the telling tale.

HDPM
01-09-2003, 12:37 AM
A while back Cuelemans averaged 1.6-1.8. in various tournaments. I don't know what they are doing cuurently. The guys in Hoppe's day could often average around 1.0 in tournaments. I'd have a heart attack if I averaged .6. That's like a dream or something.

Allan
01-09-2003, 12:49 AM
It's funny cause I just recently started playing pool. I find 3 cusion to be extremelly fascinating and beautiful, but I have no idea where to start. Pool seems so simple in comparison. As a beginner put easy ball in pocket. How you start playing as a beginner in 3c is completely lost on me.

Thanks for the link,

Allan

HDPM
01-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Once you play pool for a while and can hit the cue ball, just start. Get Byrne's books, they diagram a lot of shots. But you need to try it to get an idea. The guys who play billiards will be helpful and supportive. Billiards players look for any chance to expand the game IME. One thing I never did was learn the "small" games, straight billiards, balkline, etc... The Europeans still learn the small games and that is a big help. Ideally private instruction with someone who knows the small games as well as 3C would be ideal. You would learn a lot about where the cueball is going, short angles, masses, control of all 3 balls, etc. For fun read McGoorty by Byrne. It is a fun read and will give you just a little insight as to the game. You will get an idea of the history of billiards and how big a game it used to be. GL.

Phat Mack
01-09-2003, 04:44 PM
Frederick is the grandson. His dad played for a while, if I remember correctly.

Ray was the greatest in his prime, I agree. He still plays, and plays well, but must be appraching 70. It's fun to watch him coach Fred, he really gets on him /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

Phat Mack
01-09-2003, 04:52 PM
I think there have been tourney avgs. over 2 and 60 pt.games in less than 15 innings. The only time I played on a modern heated table, it was like playing on ice. Hitting a reverse-around was like hitting a short angle shot in the old McGirrs...