PDA

View Full Version : How long til wireless internet on trains and/or planes is common?

partygirluk
06-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Is there any reason why a train couldn't have a wireless hub in it and users who had a laptop + wireless internet card could log on whilst travelling? How difficult would this be to implement?

What about something similar on aeroplanes? I read 6 months ago that "the authorities" were coming to the conclusion that using a mobile phone on an aeroplane did not interfere with the navigational system - playing poker would be a good way to make that 12 hour flight more bearable.

M2d
06-09-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
playing poker would be a good way to make that 12 hour flight more bearable.

[/ QUOTE ]
do you want a 6'9" maniac yelling "that's a jopke" and storming up and down the aisle as he goes on tilt somewhere over the atlantic?

Anders_G
06-09-2005, 07:47 PM
on trains - within ten years (atleast on domestic trains, probably a lot longer time until it's available on the commuter trains). already available on some trains in sweden.

on airplanes, harder to say, i think that it is a lot harder to get good reception/whatnot on a fast moving plane 30k' above the ground than it is to do the same on a train that runs 80mph on the ground. However, the plane doesn't go through tunnels and whatnot. I think this will be available sooner or later, but probably later...

whiskeytown
06-09-2005, 08:47 PM
good slashdot article and links here (http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/06/09/177243&tid=160)

just came out today - apparently, allowing wireless on airplanes could screw with our equipment that scans for radio signals/info from space - so now I'm sorta hoping they don't allow it

trains never will either - not the average train - they're so damn cheap I can only find one outlet on an Amtrak at any given time.

RB

slickpoppa
06-09-2005, 08:51 PM
I saw an advertisement saying Lufthansa is offering wireless on flights between washington, dc and some places in europe

mostsmooth
06-09-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I saw an advertisement saying Lufthansa is offering wireless on flights between washington, dc and some places in europe

[/ QUOTE ]
lufthansa and japan airlines and some others already offer internet.
united will soon
proof (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050608/ap_on_hi_te/united_wi_fi_7)

contentless
06-09-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
on trains - within ten years (atleast on domestic trains, probably a lot longer time until it's available on the commuter trains). already available on some trains in sweden.

[/ QUOTE ]

Less. WiMax is on the way: http://news.com.com/WiMax+Why+not/2100-1033_3-5735939.html

"WiMax, another name for the 802.16 standard for wireless broadband, has a range of up to 30 miles and can deliver broadband at a theoretical maximum of 75 megabits per second, which is more than 20 times the speed of the fastest wired broadband available commercially."

Anders_G
06-09-2005, 09:22 PM
how is 75mbit/sec 20 times faster than 100mbit/sec? journalists /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Voltron87
06-09-2005, 09:42 PM
doesnt this raise a ton of security issues if youre logging on to party/neteller on a wireless network in a train or other public place?