PDA

View Full Version : I Hate My Play Here

Catt
06-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Villain is 42/15/34 with AF by street of 1/1.1/2.0 over about 80 hands. If anything, his play seems more passive than his AF would indicate -- I have seen him check-check-bet (flop and turn checked through - he was first to act) a HU pot that was raised pre-flop when he flopped a set of 5s. On the other hand, I have seen him raise lead bettor's bet with bottom pair on a K-high flop as 2nd to act in a four-handed unraised pot; and seen him ram and jam with top and bottom pair on the flop. His post-flop play has me befuddled because I've not been able to discern any particular rhyme or reason.

I absolutely hate how I played this hand. I don't expect any responses that can justify my play, but I would appreciate any opinions on the river play as if the action came to you.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Does this guy (and guys like him) check-raise the flop without a single /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in his hand?

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Ugh. Upon review I was sick to my stomach for not betting here. As I think about it more, a bet almost certainly has no or very, very little +EV. If he doesn't have a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif he almost certainly folds; if he does have a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif then he almost certainly calls or raises and I am drawing to 10 outs. My thought process in the hand was frankly: "I'm nearly certain that he has a flush, and I have 10 outs to the boat. Check here and hope to hit the 10-outer." Is a bet appropriate here given that (1) if we're ahead he is almost certainly drawing to at most 4 outs (2-pair) plus 9 outs to a chop (though probably unlikely he sees it this way) and is probably (is this true?) folding to a bet; and (2) if we are behind we are drawing to only 10 outs? My thought process is all over map on this [censored]ing hand.

River: (5.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero ???

Well, the turn check makes this pretty damn uncomfortable. Is it completely retarded to fold top set on this board after the way this was played getting 6.5:1? Is this an auto-call? If the turn went bet-call instead of check-check, what's the play?

As I said - I hate how I played this hand but am struggling getting comfortable with the proper line.

man
06-09-2005, 07:35 PM
this is a pretty ugly situation. but I think your line up to the river is as good as it gets. SB's checkraise on the flop screams flush draw (perhaps straight draw as well, with a pair thrown in there), so your threebet is clearly the best move.

his check on the turn seems to be a setup for a checkraise. a typical player will check here without a diamond, but I think villain bets his non-diamond hands and checks his flushes hoping for a checkraise, since he's oh-so cunning. once you've checked behind you've properly set yourself up for a cheap showdown. I think you're only getting checkraised on this turn, which you can't allow to happen--plus you might as well take the free card for the boat.

the river is an autocall. the last thing you want to do is give yourself the image of a folder, especially since his aggression on the river is 2.0. plus he might have two pair or A6 like 1/20 times to give you something resembling pot odds.

clownshoes
06-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Having not bet the turn I think you need to call this river

adamstewart
06-09-2005, 07:43 PM
call the river, and you've got a perfectly played hand.

Adam

billyjex
06-09-2005, 08:01 PM
You played the hand great -- call the river.

Redeye
06-09-2005, 08:46 PM
I agree with the others that if you called the river, you played the hand fine.

[ QUOTE ]
If he doesn't have a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif he almost certainly folds;

[/ QUOTE ]

However, I don't agree with this. I think a lot of these clowns would call with stuff like Qx of clubs, or A6 clubs or black TT. But, I think the likelyhood of him having a diamond plus you having 10 outs against a flush outweighs the chance he has something you beat that would've called a bet. I think if you would've had black aces, betting the turn and folding to a raise would be good, IMO.

obsidian
06-10-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However, I don't agree with this. I think a lot of these clowns would call with stuff like Qx of clubs, or A6 clubs or black TT. But, I think the likelyhood of him having a diamond plus you having 10 outs against a flush outweighs the chance he has something you beat that would've called a bet. I think if you would've had black aces, betting the turn and folding to a raise would be good, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not only will they call, they will raise (a hand from tonight):

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 8d 8c (three of a kind, eights).
Hero has Ah 7s (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 11 BB. </font>

afk
06-10-2005, 01:17 AM
I don't think you botched this hand too badly. Since he's been kinda wacko postflop I think 3betting the flop is fine. I don't really have a problem with the turn check. I call the river in your spot.

When you said you're nearly certain he has a flush on the turn then I thin checking behind is the correct play. Even drawing to 10 outs, you don't want to get check-raised.

Catt
06-10-2005, 05:10 AM
I folded the river /images/graemlins/frown.gif. I'm not sure I've folded a set at 6-max before, and damn near certain I haven't for one bet on the river. When I 3-bet the flop I had already convinced myself that he wouldn't C/R the flop without a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. When the Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif fell I convinced myself that I was behind and drawing to 10 outs. When I didn't hit my outs, I folded to his river bet getting 6.5:1 and losing only to the flush or an extremely unlikely 43. I was distracted by a big hand on another table and family stuff going on in the background, and I just concluded that I was beat. That's why I hate my play: I wasn't focused and I put Villain on a hand that beats me without adequately considering the range of hands he could C/R the flop with against a possible steal. FWIW, I think I was probably beat, but I don't think I can be sure that I was a worse than 6.5:1 dog, which means I wasn't focused and made a bad play.

As I thought about the hand more this afternoon (and tried to run some EV calcs) I think I've just about concluded that checking the turn is the right play -- betting just doesn't offer enough considering what I think are reasonable assumptions about Villain's actions if he doesn't hold a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif versus when he does. But I think absent a super read, and only in a smallish pot, folding to the single bet on the river is not correct.

Thanks for the feedback.

spydog
06-10-2005, 05:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
call the river, and you've got a perfectly played hand.

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]