PDA

View Full Version : WSOP event Pre-Flop play vs Mortensen and The Grinder

HiatusOver
06-09-2005, 06:37 PM
1000 rebuys after the rebuy period.

Blinds 100-200 with no antes

Carlos Mortensen is 3 off the button with 6500 in chips. He raises to 625. The Grinder (10,000 in chips) calls right next to him. I am in the cut-off with AQo and a 4300 stack. Everyone behind me is a medium stack. My image is probably a little tight although I havent been at the table too long. Fold, Call or raise?

Jason Strasser
06-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Im all in so fast.

-Jason

DemonDeac
06-09-2005, 06:41 PM
based on Mortenson's raising standards (very large) and with Mizrachi sandwhiched between you two, i think a large reraise would work here and be able to take down a nice pot preflop.

what does everyone else think of this play? this might not be as effective against a tighter player, but mortenson likes to play alot of hands and i wouldnt want to get outplayed by him postflop

HiatusOver
06-09-2005, 06:45 PM
What if the raiser was Dan Harrington? I think some people overrate Mortensen's raising standards before the antes are added in. He wasnt playing super aggro at all

diddle
06-09-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What if the raiser was Dan Harrington? I think some people overrate Mortensen's raising standards before the antes are added in. He wasnt playing super aggro at all

[/ QUOTE ]

So you raised all in, Mortenson called, and you lost.

happens

Scooterdoo
06-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Mortenson can have a wide range of hands. I don't see the Grinder having a hand that dominates you (AK/AA/KK/QQ) because if he did with 3 players left to act I don't see him just calling the initial raise. So we can assume that the Grinder will fold to your reraise/push if you make it. We have no idea what Mortensen has, based on his standard raise, but the majority of time he will make the raise with a hand that does not dominate you. A push is fine. I would not re-raise anything less than all-in. Since you have position you still have enough chips to call the bet and see what happens. However, if you think about it, if an A or Q come on the flop you are most likely playing for all your chips anyway so a push isn't bad preflop because it gets some hands to call preflop which will not stay in if you bet strong with an A or Q on the board, it allows you to see 5 cards, and it if your image is fairly solid and tight it gets lots of hands to fold that could beat you post-flop. I really think gambling with your AQ here is not bad at all. I would lean toward a push, but a call is fine too.

SossMan
06-09-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im all in so fast.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

MLG
06-09-2005, 08:03 PM
and to think i spent all weekend calling you andrew.