PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with blocking bets

Jonathan
06-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Hi All,

How do you normally interepret minimum bets on the turn and river?

I wasn´t sure about how to interepret my opponents bets here. I interepreted it in this case, as a flush draw
attempting to get a cheap card. For that reason,
I simply smooth called the turn, hoping that my opponent would actually catch their flush and that way I get the whole stack.

Should I bet the river? I was concerned about kicker problems.

Thanks for the input,
Jonathan
__________________________________________________ ________
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero (t1885)</font>
SB (t1470)
BB (t810)
UTG (t875)
<font color="#C00000">MP (t2040)</font>
CO (t920)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t200) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets t250</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP calls t250.

Turn: (t1200) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets t50</font>, Hero calls t50.

River: (t1300) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets t50</font>, Hero calls t50.

Final Pot: t1400

adanthar
06-09-2005, 05:52 PM
The problem with interpreting that bet as a flush draw is that, since he called the flop raise, if he has that it is far more likely to be the *other* flush draw.

Having said that, I play it like you did.

45suited
06-10-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter

saw flop|saw showdown

Hero (t1885)
SB (t1470)
BB (t810)
UTG (t875)
MP (t2040)
CO (t920)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, 8.
1 fold, MP calls t50, 1 fold, Hero calls t50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t200) J, K, A (4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, MP bets t250,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting ready to get flamed on this, but....

I fold the flop. This is an unraised pot, and even if you're ahead here, there are TONS of draws that can beat you. You have TPWK on an incredibly draw heavy board. You have a healthy chip position. When the other chip leader puts that big bet out on the flop, sure, you might be ahead. Or way behind. Either way, you're hand is incredibly vulnerable. I fold the flop here and for me it's not that hard of a decision.

Jonathan
06-10-2005, 08:48 AM
I would not fold this preflop....not with perfect position.
I didn't mention it originally, but the opener and post flop
raiser had been playing many hands, and I read him as very loose agressive. I suppose I could fold the flop to his
big bet, but given his previous loose agressive style I would see a fold as being weak-tight, that is why I chose to raise in this situation.

I think my turn check is fine, but I was more interested in how to deal with his min bet on river. I'm inclined to bet for value, but if I do then a re-raise from him would be painful, as I would hate to throw away the best hand here on the river. For that reason I decided to check behind.

Given the above, would anyone bet for value on the river?

Suerte,
Jonathan

Unarmed
06-10-2005, 08:58 AM
You're really not strong enough to be raising that flop.
Other than that I play the hand as you did.

45suited
06-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Okay, well given your read I can see that the hand would play differently. Obviously, my advice was absent any reads.

I tend to go by Lorinda's advice in a spot like this: Do you need this pot? Clearly the answer is no, plus you're hand is TPWK on a very draw heavy board. Even if you're ahead, you may very well be the dog on the flop. (As the hand played out, it certainly looks like whatever villain was drawing to, he missed, but I'm just talking specifically about folding the flop.)

Sorry for not addressing your actual question... Let's try: On the river, I play it like you did.

AA suited
06-10-2005, 10:58 AM
he overbet the pot on the flop, WTH are you raising him with tpmk for?!

i would have put him on a club draw, and raised on turn to make it expensive for him to draw.

What did he have?

Jonathan
06-13-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he overbet the pot on the flop, WTH are you raising him with tpmk for?!

i would have put him on a club draw, and raised on turn to make it expensive for him to draw.

What did he have?

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you raise on the turn, how much?
Its hard to find a number without being pot committed.

He had K /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif . Like I said, he was loose aggressive /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for all the responses.
Suerte,
Jonathan