PDA

View Full Version : Wilco

Ulysses
06-09-2005, 05:26 PM
About to get on a plane right now to head back to SF so I can see Wilco on Saturday night at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley. This concert will be great. The Court and Spark opens, which is cool. I would have preferred The Roots, though, who open the next couple of shows in LA and Colorado.

IndieMatty
06-09-2005, 05:27 PM
You lost me at "I would prefer the Roots".

Ulysses
06-09-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen The Court and Spark live a few times. Never seen The Roots live.

whiskeytown
06-09-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm really ambivilent about this...

to be honest, I think Jay Bennett brought a lot to Wilco - a lot more then people realize, and I think it showed in that I didn't think "A Ghost is Born" was nearly the album that YHF was.

Time will tell, I guess, but I know Jay was an important part of the sound of that band (the bio and documentaries were both pretty cool) and I can tell on the last record something was missing.

GL

RB

IndieMatty
06-09-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen The Court and Spark live a few times. Never seen The Roots live.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh wait the roots were the openers to wilco?! I get it.

I thought for you Roots > Wilco.

BWebb
06-09-2005, 06:16 PM
I'm going to be in SF on Saturday, but my buddies I'm going with have never heard of Wilco. I would have liked to check them out. Not a big fan, but I am starting to listen to their music.

mason55
06-09-2005, 06:23 PM
the roots are super duper awesome live.

when i saw them they just alternated between an album track and a freestyle jam, with each member getting one jam where they got to solo for a bit.

sfer
06-10-2005, 10:03 AM
I've seen Wilco twice in the last year and they've been fantastic both times.

My first year of college was in a dorm adjacent to the Greek. Free music when bands came to town, if you're willing to just listen.

wall_st
06-10-2005, 05:05 PM
I saw them in san jose about 6 or so months ago. I did not get the roots opening though that would have been nice (alhough I saw them open for rage in like 96?).

Wilco was absolutely amazing. The crowd was really good. At first I was not happy about paying 40 bones for a ticket, but the show was absolutely worth it. They did two encores because the crowd was so nuts. And they played a wide variety of songs stuff from A.M. , I appreciated A ghost is born much more after seeing this show. Particularly the song theologians.

Ok I have talked myself into going to this show.

IndieMatty
06-10-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I saw them in san jose about 6 or so months ago. I did not get the roots opening though that would have been nice (alhough I saw them open for rage in like 96?).

Wilco was absolutely amazing. The crowd was really good. At first I was not happy about paying 40 bones for a ticket, but the show was absolutely worth it. They did two encores because the crowd was so nuts. And they played a wide variety of songs stuff from A.M. , I appreciated A ghost is born much more after seeing this show. Particularly the song theologians.
Ok I have talked myself into going to this show.

[/ QUOTE ]

so [censored] true

pryor15
06-10-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I appreciated A ghost is born much more after seeing this show. Particularly the song theologians.

[/ QUOTE ]

and Spiders (Kidsmoke)

saw them at a free festival show in pgh and they played for hours. for free. amazing.

Ulysses
06-10-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought for you Roots > Wilco.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm somewhat insulted that you would come to that conclusion rather than think something didn't make sense and reread my post.

Ulysses
06-10-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't think "A Ghost is Born" was nearly the album that YHF was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone can really argue against that statement.

Chiron
06-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Meh, I hate it when people compare their albums. Each Wilco album is so vastly different from the next, and the band has evolved so much over the last ten years, that after such a great album as YHF people are going to have their expectations already set for what's to come. AGIB is different, and it is good. It's not as critically acclaimed or as popular, but I think it is damn near as good a follow up to something like YHF as it could possibly be. I'm just thankful they aren't pulling a Coldplay and embracing platinum record selling formula rock. Wilco is always coming up with something original.

That said, I saw them in Paris last year where I actually met Jeff Tweedy before the show and got pic with him to prove it /images/graemlins/cool.gif and in Phoenix this year twice, and they were brilliant. I'm sure you'll have a blast!

smokingrobot
06-11-2005, 01:00 AM
saw wilco about 4 yrs ago in baltimore, well towson to be exact. was an awesome show. talked to jon stiratt afterwards, however jeff tweedy had already run inside the confines of the bus and let his buddies carry the rest of the stuff. they played an awesome set with a lengthy encore.

seen the roots a couple times now (being from philadelphia area its almost sacreligious to not see them).

their live show is good, but the last time i saw them, it was more like they played a roots medley, one song to the next, never fully going off on one song or anything. kinda frustrated me. have fun though.