PDA

View Full Version : Hiatus...(no real content)

sin808
06-09-2005, 05:13 PM
I've decided to take a short break from playing poker. I've got about 10k hands at 1/2 in now and still in the red overall. This comes after 20k hands at .50/1 and 3+ BB/100. So that's been frustrating me alot, which has been affecting my play. It seems like a constant struggle to break even. blah blah blah, none of that's really important anyway. Matter of fact this post isn't all that important either. I think it's mostly just cathartic for me.
Anyway, I've developed a back log of books that need reading, both poker and non. So I'm going to take some time to read those (and re-read where necessary). Also, after a 13 year break, I've decided to go back to school. So I've applied and all that good stuff. Now it's time to brush up on a few things before I get started. I'm also going to whittle down the honey-do list a bit, and quit smoking.
Hopefully in a month or two I'll be able to come back into the game, more knowledgable and refreshed and ready to play (so that I can continue to break even at 1/2 /images/graemlins/tongue.gif).

I'll probably still periodically read the boards during this time, but won't be playing at all, so I will probably refrain from posting any strategic content (which I haven't really done lately anyway). So, yeah....like I said, no real content, just sharing.

Jaran
06-09-2005, 05:26 PM
GL on your return to school, bro. I did that myself about 3 years ago. It's tough money wise, but the other benefits make up for it.

-Jaran

Dorez
06-09-2005, 05:27 PM
You meet a girl, move in with her. Never play poker again 'til one night, you just happen to be at a card game and make a few hundred bucks. She breaks up with you and finally you say, "Let's play some #$@$ing cards".

We've heard this story before. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

GL

sin808
06-09-2005, 05:40 PM
lol, no I already live with the girl. She's happy I play cards, it's helped pay bills. I just need to take some time away to study the game at a different level. One I haven't had the time or energy to do for quite awhile.
And of course take care of a few other things in my life.

I don't want to end up driving the delivery truck /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sin808
06-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Thanks, it's something I've been wanting/trying to do for the last four years or so, but the timing never really worked out for me up until now. So I'm pretty excited about it.

TripleH68
06-09-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm also going to ( ) quit smoking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Follow through on this one. Good luck to you.

Roybert
06-09-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've decided to take a short break from playing poker. I've got about 10k hands at 1/2 in now and still in the red overall. This comes after 20k hands at .50/1 and 3+ BB/100. So that's been frustrating me alot, which has been affecting my play. It seems like a constant struggle to break even. blah blah blah, none of that's really important anyway. Matter of fact this post isn't all that important either. I think it's mostly just cathartic for me.
Anyway, I've developed a back log of books that need reading, both poker and non. So I'm going to take some time to read those (and re-read where necessary). Also, after a 13 year break, I've decided to go back to school. So I've applied and all that good stuff. Now it's time to brush up on a few things before I get started. I'm also going to whittle down the honey-do list a bit, and quit smoking.
Hopefully in a month or two I'll be able to come back into the game, more knowledgable and refreshed and ready to play (so that I can continue to break even at 1/2 /images/graemlins/tongue.gif).

I'll probably still periodically read the boards during this time, but won't be playing at all, so I will probably refrain from posting any strategic content (which I haven't really done lately anyway). So, yeah....like I said, no real content, just sharing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck, dude! See ya when you get back,

sin808
06-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Thanks. This will be a tough one after 16 years, but I'm going to concentrate on the fact that the money I'll be saving will pay for my internet connection...smoke= no internet...good motivation for me.

Felipe
06-09-2005, 11:11 PM
She's happy I play cards, it's helped pay bills.

hate to 'nit', but aren't you in the <font color="red">red</font> playing poker already?

I've read that post (http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/current/Schoonmaker0506.html) and its hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm more studying PT and reading 2+2, and going to get Ciaffone's Potlimit/NL poker book (free from boogster..alright affiliate programs!)

I'm down around 20BB from party (whine!) but confident i can make it back, after a 1 month break or so.

(about smoking try the patch, but stay consistent and remind yourself, "why do I want to quit", "why am I quitting", "what will quitting get/offer me?")

I won't wish you good luck - we all know thats a load of "censored". I wish you strengh of will, good family and good friends to support you along the way. And don't leave 2+2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sin808
06-09-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She's happy I play cards, it's helped pay bills.

hate to 'nit', but aren't you in the <font color="red">red</font> playing poker already?

[/ QUOTE ]
oh no, I played 20k hands of .50/1 with a healthy win-rate, it's just 1/2 where I'm in the red.

I've tried the patch. I used it the same time I was using zyban. Worked pretty well, better than the gum anyway. I will probably use them for the first couple of weeks.

And I'm not leaving 2+2, just taking a vacation for a bit.

benkath1
06-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Have fun!

dozer
06-09-2005, 11:43 PM
good luck,
I left highschool my senior year to work, I am 22 now and I have gone back to school. Now I realize how important it is to have a good education and wish I had not wasted 4 years

I started smoking when I was 16 and I have quit for 1 year 4 months. So good luck with that, it is all will power. Whenever you feel like having a smoke just tell yourself how much better you will feel after you have quit and how much healthier you will be.