PDA

View Full Version : The Big Game and winrates

Hermlord
06-09-2005, 04:27 PM
OK, so we all know about variance. Proven winners have 300BB downslides, 10,000 break-even streaks, happens all the time. And we all know that the lower the winrate, the bigger the variance: a 1BB/100 winner will have losing streaks fairly regularly.

And, we know that the tougher the game, the lower the winrate. For the Big Game, I have heard numbers like .25BB/100. I have no idea how right that is, but it sounds reasonable. So my question is, playing B&M with so few hands/hr, how do these top guys really have any idea that they're beating the game?!? Wouldn't it just take forever to know that?

--They've been playing for years, so they do know: some of them, yes, but Phil Ivey's relatively new, isn't he? Also, didn't they move to the current top stakes fairly recently?

--They don't care about their theoretical win-rate because of all the actual $$$$ they take home: I'm sure that helps, but I'm also sure they do care.

--They play break-even with each other and wait for fish: obviously the tourist fish is a goldmine, but I've also read specific comments about pros feeling they beat other pros (can't remember where, unfortunately).

I know this question has been raised before, but I've yet to hear a convincing answer: with the super-high variance, how do any of them really know they're winners (other than against the aforementioned fish)?

BruinEric
06-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Good timing. I just listened to the Greenstein interview where he talked about all the tough players who play in the big game and thought..."why are they all playing in that game?"

Because if the "regulars" are all equally super tough, (perhaps this statement is not accurate) then they must just be playing to wait and hit the guest that comes into the game.

Surely someone knows the answer. I'm sure there is an answer, because one would assume that longtime Poker players (who by the nature of their longevity have shown profitable play), would choose profitable situations over the long haul.

Smoothcall
06-09-2005, 08:15 PM
They all play in that game for ego. To prove they are the best.

RollaJ
06-09-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They all play in that game for ego. To prove they are the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume if you know this you must be one of the regulars in the game???

Mike Cuneo
06-09-2005, 08:18 PM
The players all play at the so called "big" game because they are afraid to come play in my smaller games that I partake in near my house. It's a well documented fact.

Ezcheeze
06-10-2005, 05:38 AM
Some of them actually play because they think they can make a shitload of money in the game.

grass
06-10-2005, 06:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

--They play break-even with each other and wait for fish: obviously the tourist fish is a goldmine, but I've also read specific comments about pros feeling they beat other pros (can't remember where, unfortunately).

[/ QUOTE ]

what makes you think they're all at par w/ each other.

Zetack
06-10-2005, 01:27 PM
They're just blowing smoke...none of those guys is beating the rake in that game.

Lots of players don't realize the effect of the rake you see...

--Zetack

Voltron87
06-10-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They're just blowing smoke...none of those guys is beating the rake in that game.

Lots of players don't realize the effect of the rake you see...

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

do you any idea what youre talking about at all?

edit: please tell me youre being sarcastic. i think you are.

Indiana
06-10-2005, 01:34 PM
they play it because they are gamblers and all have made big enough $ that the grind no longer satisfies them...they are hoping to get lucky or hit a nice piece of variance...
Indiana

NYCNative
06-10-2005, 01:39 PM
http://images.art.com/images/PRODUCTS/large/10106000/10106736.jpg

Voltron87
06-10-2005, 01:39 PM
I'm pretty sure no one is "trying to catch a hot run" or anything like that. And if there is, they are pretty obviously a live one, making it profitable.

Voltron87
06-10-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm... you have a point. the thing is there are many people on here would could be serious.

Zetack
06-13-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm... you have a point. the thing is there are many people on here would could be serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I was being facetious, not sarcastic...

--Zetack